New Toilet Ring?

Hi all,

Just installed tile flooring. Added a subfloor, mortor and tile, so the toilet flange is a little lower with respect to the floor than before. The toilet had a sponge gasket there which still looks to be in good shape. I had bought a wax ring before removing the toilet and doing the floor but seeing that the sponge ring still looks good can I simply reuse it?

Regarding the difference in height, how much space can a gasket or wax ring take up?

Thanks,

Larry

Reply to
GoHabsGo

Never seen a sponge ring.

I tiled the three bathrooms in my house. The backer + tile raised the floors about 7/8", so I used a spacer from the BORG and a thick wax ring with the plastic insert under the toilets. Plumbing is on my least favorite pastime list, but I'm batting 1000. I also had to get longer bolts (3/16", IIRC), which the BORG didn't carry.

Reply to
Keith Williams

Larry,

I have had this issue at my rentals many times. A new floor raises the height above the ring. I was told by an ole time plumber to always replace gaskets, etc. It isn't usually worth the money saved. Used gasket type fittings can have worn channels in them that don't align with the new. They can be brittle, or have begun to deteriorate. Use new with new. No question in my mind on that.

I agree with Keith that you'll probably need longer bolts; wax rings are sold that have a plastic extension on them to alieviate this problem and they work very well. You can use more than one wax ring, if you wish, but be careful that excess wax does not block the flow from the toilet (had that happen once, ugh!). (When seating the toilet onto the ring the wax may flow inward toward the open hole, so be careful in placing the toilet straight down and wiggle a little for a nice seal without gaps.

Good luck. Oh, I usually go to a plumbing supply store. They usually have everything and not just the most commonly used items that your home improvement store carries. The counter people are generally friendly and like to "cabitz". So you can get additional insights.

Reply to
glassartist

I used the wax ring with 40% more from RONA..

Works great

Reply to
troy