New Stihl Chainsaw

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:15:02 -0700 (PDT), Harry K wrote Re Re: New Stihl Chainsaw:

No such thing. It would be nearly impossible to sync the speed of the two heads.

Reply to
Vinny From NYC

Not much logging in NYC, is there Vinny?

dadiOH

See Dadioh's post. There is no attempt to "synchronize", both operators squeeze WOT (as any chainsaw is supposed to be operated) and the output is the mid ground hp between the two.

Using your theory, all those multi engine dragsters are also impossible.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Thanks. I was trying to think of a good search string but never considered "two man".

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Golly. I need to go lay down. I saw one of those saws on TV one time on a logging show. It made such an impression on my mind that I actually remembered it. But I must have been in an altered state of consciousness, as you say there is no such thing.

I used to believe in the Statue of Liberty. But one day, during a deep session in analytical thinking, I reasoned that since I personally, me, had never personally seen the Statue of Liberty that it does not exist, and must have been a recreation in some Hollywood backlot. Same with Stonehenge and the Taj Majal.

I threw away all my National Geographics, and now my life is MUCH simpler. If I don't see it, it doesn't exist, and people who say these things do exist have some sinister hidden agenda that I must protect myself from.

I also deleted from my memory banks those old double engine dragsters and drag bikes that had two engines. Now that you have cleared that up in my mind, I know that they were some drug and alcohol induced hallucination, and my mind is much clearer without that information.

I used to reason that if the two engines did not perform exactly the same, the slower one would slow down the faster one, or that the faster one would make the slower one go faster. And if they DID actually run at a very close speed, that the power would be increased dramatically. I also cleared from my soft hard drive all the thousands of times I have seen machinery with multiple engines. Oh, dopey me. What WAS I thinking, and what DID I see?

Your mind must be VERY clear. I want to be like you some day.

Steve

Visit my blog at

Steve B

Was it Dick Martin who used to speak about the fanorton? It is a twenty foot musical device played by blowing into both ends at the same time, but must be played by only one musician.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do think it was Dick Martin on Laugh-In. There should be enough old farts around for someone to remember this. I googled until I was dizzy and didn't come up with anything.

Steve, a member of the Old Farts Club, but I lost my membership card and forgot when and where the meetings are ............

Visit my blog at

Steve B

"Saw" plenty of links to ones with handles at the other end, none with a power head. However....

Rick

I am such a long time member of the old-farts club my card has expired. Can't say I ever saw that skit but I missed a whole bunch of that show due to being overseas during most of its run.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 07:03:55 -0400, "dadiOH" wrote Re Re: New Stihl Chainsaw:

Thanks for the link. I see lots of two "man" saws, but no two "power head" saws.

I stand by my comment.

Reply to
Vinny From NYC

Jazuss. Must be blind too.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Hmm...i didn't find a picture on the links either but on dial-up one doesnt' do a lot of digging.

One quick hit on "two engine chainsaw" - I'm on dial up and that is enough of doing your work for you.

"It's a long Gwaii from here... - The AVSIM Forums I figured I'd be flying some small, two-engine chainsaw back to camp... not this beauty. I was almost teary eye'd as I stood there looking at her. ... forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=3D141270"

No, I didnt' go through that blog looking for the picture.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Seems you are right - they are arara avis. I recall seeing a two- engine saw picture at work back when there was still the 'big timber', also saw a chainsaw mill picture running two engines.

You still need to explain why a multi engine dragster or go-kart work but a chainswa one can't. I guess it is a case of 'ignorance is bliss"

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 14:07:08 -0700 (PDT), Harry K wrote Re Re: New Stihl Chainsaw:

With the dragster, there is a very expensive "combiner" that combines the output of both engines into one output. Worth the money in a expensive competition machine. I don't know how they would do it on a go-kart.

On a chain saw, two engines pulling on one chain, two men eight feet apart?? I have to see it to believe it.

So far I haven't seen it.

Reply to
Vinny From NYC

Here ya go

Notice there is no "combiner" and I do not recall ever seeing a picture showing a "combiner" between the engines in a multi engine dragster. They are usually coupled nose to tail. Feel free to post a link to one.

BTW a "combiner" would more properly be known as a "differential".

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 23:31:57 -0700 (PDT), Harry K wrote Re Re: New Stihl Chainsaw:

Thanks for the link, but I couldn't see anything there because when I click the link I get:

=========================== You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

  1. You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.

============================

I don't want to fill in the form and register, so if you say it's there, then I believe you and stand corrected.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

-snip-

Darn- I wanted to see it too-- but I'm already registered to a million forums that I never visit. You need to be registered to see that page.

Can you quote something so we can try to find it somewhere else on the web?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Whenever you register just to see something that requires a valid Email address, use the name Darin Dingleberry and the disposable Email service known a 10 minute mail. The Email address lasts for 10 minutes or more at your request so you can register. After the alloted time the Email addy goes away and you will not be spammed to death.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Weren't they talking about a "combiner" in another thread? You know, the kind they use for harvesting wheat? Why are they called combiners anyway, they should be called "separators".

Reply to
Tony

Nuts! I tested that link and it worked but I forgot that I am already a member there. Sorry. I'll 'steal' the photo and give you a working link.

It's not really a very good one as it is the bar/powerheads mounted to a frame work for a chainsaw mill. Anyhow, I'm on dial up and ti will take me some considerable time witht he processing. Probably this afternoon.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Because (yes I helped operate all parts of the system 'back when'...I think we were the last farmers to use one in our area, would have been about 1945)

The original 'mechanized' method of harvest was:

  1. Cut the grain with a "binder" (horsedrawn implement that cut the grain and tied it into sheives that were stacked to dry)

  1. Haul it to a staionary "thresher" aka "separater" for threshing.

Then they put both machines together in what became "the combined thresher' which almost instantly was shorting to "combine'.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K