New roof coming Oct 07

How hot does it need to be for shingles to properly stick? Im in Wilkes Barre Pa 18702. Today high is 60 ish. Expected to warm up this week. Was supposed to rip on Sept 23 but did not get the oermit on time. Do I need 60, 70 80?

Reply to
Thomas

Read info from GAF here:

or

Retired

You will be OK. You can get down into the 40's but 70 to 90 is best to make them pliable.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks both for the link and assurance. I have been very uneasy about this and will sleep better.

Reply to
Thomas

Oct is no problem. Some people think they need high temps to seal, but apparently the sealing sticks well enough at low temps that they don't lift and eventually it gets hotter and they can seal even better then.

Reply to
trader_4

I imagine there is a fair difference due to the color of the shingle. I know for a fact that black roofs are appreciably hotter than white roofs, but I can't tell you the difference in actual degrees.

Reply to
hrhofmann

A good strong sunny day and a dark roof, they will seal down at 50F no problem. The surface temp of the roof gets WAY bhaigher than air temp on a sunny day.

Reply to
clare

Torch and not worrry in the same sentance????

Reply to
clare

Hope those aren't IQ scores for the installers...

Reply to
Travis Bickle

I had a cousin-in-law that was a roofer. Yeah, they seem a bit high for their IQ.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My experience over the years with many home remodeling projects is that roofing subs are pretty much the bottom of the barrel- and that is one deep barrel with a lot of extra bottom....

Reply to
Wade Garrett

There is a reason "hot roofers" are almost impossible to insure - and a lot of "cold roofers" around here I wouldn't trust with a torch on a roof - sorry you actually had the torch and worry in 2 separate sentances.

Anyway, the sun will warm up the shingles and stick them down on a cold sunny day.

If you need to warm shingles to lay them it's too darn cold to be on the roof anyway - buy I'd use a flameless heat gun

Reply to
clare

Roof is done. Needed 15 sheets of ply. Currently 83f. I am in a good mood. Allstate claim offered me 250 bucks. Fuck off.

Reply to
Thomas