New propane fireplace insert doesn't fit existing space

We replaced our propane fireplace and now I am left with a 1 1/2 inch gap on either side of the new insert and useless vents above and below it. It looks terrible to say the least, plus, now there is a plug that wasn't there before. Any suggestions how to fix this?

No, but in the future you might think to use a tape measure first.

What a maroon...

Come on Oren, that would be tacky. Some of that yellow spray foam would look much better.
On Thu 13 Apr 2017 11:14:01a, Acmowry told us...

Sounds like you should have bought an insert that fit the opening. That would fix it.

Retrim with some nice marble or stone. At least you do not need to make it bigger.