New installation trouble

I am installing a new low voltage outdoor lighting system. There are 5 x 20w spot fixtures and one Malibu Lighting 200W transformer.

After installing the 5 lights, I laid out the 12-2 supply. The furthest lights (2 on one post = 40w) are about 70' from the transformer, and I hooked them up first.

With only those 2 lights attached, the transformer is cycling on/off every 20-30 seconds.

The transformer, fixtures, lamps, cable, and connections are all new. I took pains with the connections.

What am I missing? Please help.

Reply to
mc

Disconnect the fixtures and see if it still cycles. You may have a bad transformer

Reply to
RBM

I am installing a new low voltage outdoor lighting system. There are 5 x 20w spot fixtures and one Malibu Lighting 200W transformer.

After installing the 5 lights, I laid out the 12-2 supply. The furthest lights (2 on one post = 40w) are about 70' from the transformer, and I hooked them up first.

With only those 2 lights attached, the transformer is cycling on/off every 20-30 seconds.

The transformer, fixtures, lamps, cable, and connections are all new. I took pains with the connections.

What am I missing? Please help.

Reply to
mc

I don't know anything about transformers cycling on/off, but I did help a friend (as ignorant of electricity as I am) shop for parts for her Malibu lights. Seems like 50' was longest run that would work - can the length of cable be the issue?

Reply to
norminn

Hi, And logic tells me start hooking up close one first and keep adding fixtures.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

On Fri 11 Sep 2009 03:20:36p, mc told us...

You might have a bad transformer. Additionally, most low voltage systems have a recommended maximum low voltage power line length. Lengths longer that those recommended can cause various problems.

At at previous home we had a large number of lighting fixtures, but divided them amongst numerous transformers with reasonably short line lengths. If memory serves, I think the maximum was 20-25 feet on each transformer.

Also recommended are several shorter line lenths connected to the same transformer.

IMHO, 70 feet seems excessive.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I have run Malibu lights as far as 200'. Used 12 gauge copper wire.

The transformer should not be acting up because of a long wire run. This would merely reduce the voltage at the end and dim the lights.

Sounds like a short in your wiring. The transformer shuts itself off when it sees a short and then tries again after a few minutes.

Reply to
Walter R.

.

Thanks Walter. I used brand new cable, 12-2 to the bollard, 16-2 to the light fixture . I used brand new wire connectors, and was painstakingly careful. I have concluded the transformer, Intermatic Malibu 200w, is defective. It continued to cycle (on for 1 sec, off for 20 sec) even after I had disconnected all the load. After 2 defective transformers Intermatic, I'd be a fool to try a third one. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better product? Who makes the best transformers?

Reply to
mc