New Furniture Gas-out..

I looked for a bookcase headboard locally and online. The only ones I found were online and a couple of grand.

So, I lifted the measurements from one I liked and built it. After letting everything dry and settle down after it was stained and sealed, I installed it. But, because I'm very sensitive to such things, the different smells kept me from getting the kind of sleep I was accustomed to.

It smelled like mostly the pine that I smelled but who knows. How long does new furniture normally take to gas out ..anyone have any idea...The thing is with this type of furniture, it's right where your head is all night..

In the mean time I put it back down in the workshop possibly until next year..?

Reply to
in2-dadark

So why is it behind your bed. Is it solid wood or plywood and veneer

Reply to
ransley

Particle board and other man-made materials may contain formaldehyde. But in your case it is most likely the finish. Most finishes will lose their odor in a month or so, but you didn't say which finish was used. Put the piece in a well-ventilated and dry area (no sun) for a few weeks.

Reply to
Phisherman

Particle board and other man-made materials may contain formaldehyde. But in your case it is most likely the finish. Most finishes will lose their odor in a month or so, but you didn't say which finish was used. Put the piece in a well-ventilated and dry area (no sun) for a few weeks.

Thanks.. I used an off the shelf stain and sealer applied over a couple of weeks. I think it was a minwax product...I also tricked it out with a power strip near the bottom of one side (attached with liquid nails). I wonder if that has a long curing time..

Reply to
in2-dadark

Liqued nails made me real sick when I glued foamboard in a room to walls. Let it all air one month, you wont smell liqued nails, but it off gasses as do paints and stains.

Reply to
ransley