New Friends - What goes around, comes around.

This is nothing more than a story that shows that there are still some very nice people left in this world. (Don't worry, it's tool related!)

Last week I was 350 miles from home at a competition with my daughter. Due to a difference in the interpretation of the rules between our team and the authors, my daughter's entry was deemed "illegal" at the initial inspection. We had 24 hours to fix it or she could not compete. (Said one official: "Look, we're not going to admit that we're wrong, but we agree that the wording could be clearer. We'll see what we can do about that for next year's competition, but for this year, fix it or she doesn't compete.")

Seeing how upset my daughter was, the crew chief of a competing team came over and said "I live 10 miles from here. Follow me home, use my shop and tools and we'll get this thing ready for tomorrow."

One of tools we needed was an angle grinder. His grinder was beat - the switch was broken, the cord was frayed, and the wheel was shot - but it got the job done. He even joked about the condition of the tool.

The next day, after passing inspection because of his help, I went out and bought him a new grinder. He was genuinely grateful - as was his wife! She told me later that whenever he pulled out that old grinder, she walked away and wouldn't watch.

As it turns out, they are headed in our direction in the fall and we've agreed to get together for dinner and some sight-seeing in my neck of the woods.

They could have stood back and watched us be eliminated before the competition even began (like the other teams did) but instead they stepped up and helped us out. They've got a new grinder and we've got some new friends.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nice story, and a nice gesture on your part. What exactly had to be ground down?

RicodJour

Some fiberglass/carbon fiber.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

very good. I'm curious, what kind of project/competition is/was this?

thanks

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

What's my username? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hey- you should have cross-posted it to a couple political groups so they could argue over whether it was Obama's fault-- or Bush's -- or Foxnews- or CNBC.

Good story- It is good to remind ourselves that there really are some good folks out there.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

The All American Race (Soap Box Derby) in Akron Ohio??

Reply to
willshak

Sorry, I mistakenly posted this response to Steve's post The All American Race (Soap Box Derby) in Akron Ohio??

Reply to
willshak

Yep!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Congrats to your daughter (and you) for getting that far. We used to have an AASBD prelim race in Pearl River, NY I never participated but did watch it..

Reply to
willshak

Thanks for the congrats, but this year was as little different.

My daughter has aged out of the regular racing after making it to Akron 3 times. My son has been there 4 times, bringing home a World Championship a few years back. I have another daughter who raced there once. All in all, our family has been pretty successful at Derby racing.

This year we were there for 2 reasons:

1 - To work in the pits taking care of the final alignments on the cars from our region (which would include Pearl River - Don't kids from your area race in New Rochelle now?) Our region took home World Championships in 2 of the 6 divisions this year. 2 - We entered a car in the Ultimate Speed Challenge, which is a fairly new division that still allows for innovation and home made parts and cars. The rest of the divisions are kits built from parts purchased from the AASBD.

In an effort to limit the construction rules in the USC division to allow for innovation, they unfortunately also left them open to different interpretations. We interpreted them one way, which they agreed could be done once we pointed it out to them. However, in the end they stuck by what they *meant*, not by how we read them and we were forced to make some last minute - and substantial - modifications to my daughter's car. Seeing as this was our first year, we never expected to place at the top of the division, but we dropped a few spots because of the modifications.

At their request, I have already submitted some changes to the wording that should eliminate the confusion for future builders.

In any event, what could have been a pretty bad week ended up with us having made some new friends and having our faith in the human race restored.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I actually teared up reading this story. Am so down these days about people that it helps, big-time, to read about one decent human being, and possibly a budding friendship resulting from his good deed.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

"DerbyDad03" wrote

Thanks for posting the story. It is easy to become cynical about people and greed that is present so often, we forget that most people are decent. Competition on the track is one thing, but we're all in this world together.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Every time I help someone and they offer me money, I refuse and tell them to pass it on. Someone may need a jump start, a lift to the gas station, etc. I'm not wealthy by any means but I'll always tell them to help someone else as payment. I've always wondered how many of them actually do and I'd like to think that every one of them has taken a little time to return the favor.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'm the same way, but I don't hold it against my new friends for accepting the grinder. They needed it!

I know that if I offered them money, they would have absolutely refused.

I also did it in a fun way. Aside from all the other problems their grinder had, the 4 1/2" wheel was down to about 2". We were bumping up against the grinder housing while trying to use it. When I handed them the new grinder I said "I bought you a new grinding wheel, and look, it came with a grinder!"

I figured that by lightening up the situation it would make it less awkward. It worked!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Last time I stopped to help someone I was driving down US-50 and saw a Mustang merging onto the freeway. Just as he really got into the loud pedal a lot of dark, thick smoke erupted from under the car. I pulled over to see what'd happened and here the oil filter hadn't been properly tightened so as soon as he got the RPMs up it started spewing oil. No real problem, but he couldn't drive it without more oil. So I gave him a lift back to his house. Guy wouldn't get out of the car unless I took $20 from him. I still feel bad about it but whattayagonnado. I hope his GF wasn't too pissed at him (I believe that it was her car, she was in it, he was driving, and I think he'd done the oil change as well.)

nate

Reply to
N8N