New AC unit

The AC unit in our house is probably 20 years old and it is weak both in cooling and in blower volume. I'm thinking of replacing it and wanted to get in the ballpark for what I need.

I realise that you can't tell exactly without seeing and calculating but I don't know how to do that. I don't know what seer or tonage is.

It's a 2500 square foot house, two story rancher. The AC unit was installed after the build and is on the second floor in a horizontal position. Ducting was added for the purpose. The house is located in Maryland where it gets fairly hot and humid in the Summer. The heat exchanger is located outside and is the typical cylindrical, fan type unit.

Is that enough information for more knowledegable folks here to get me in the ballpark as to size, seer, tonage and cost?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
coustanis

Nope, not enough info.

By law, you cannot obtain a newly manufactured AC unit with less than a

13 SEER rating. Some manufacturers still have older inventory on hand of 10-12 SEER units.

A new 13 SEER AC plus natural gas furnace 3 tons will cost about $7,000 (give or take a couple of thousand depending on who you buy from)

You may get local recommendations for a split system, with one unit handling the upstairs only, the other unit for downstairs only. Really and truly, only a local HVAC contractor can tell you how much of an AC system you need for your local conditions, the age of your house, and the number of people in it. It costs you NOTHING to get a contractor to come in and work up an estimate for you.

DIY can cut this in half, BUT you need a license to obtain and use the equipment used to purge and charge the refrigerant

You did not mention the furnace, but if it has not been replaced in 20 years, it is also time to consider a replacement furnace.

Reply to
Robert Gammon