New A/C way to seperate folks from their money

Full page ad in the local paper today for this. It's only $228 plus $49 for shipping. The $28 extended warranty is optional. In the newspaper ad, they do give you a $50 coupon for free gas, which IMO is the only thing here worth a damn. Nowhere in either the print ad or web description is anything said about how it works, beyond that it's some "Chinese" discovery. LOL

Reply to
trader4

It says Ice cooled air, so the chinese discovered how to blow a fan over ice blocks and cool and humidify you uncomfortably. It is deceptive and im sure you make the ice in your frige

Reply to
ransley

Velly simple! Put ice cubes in machine, turn on fan. Here is the clue:

"even includes the extra cooling power of 4 reusable glacier ice blocks. "

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes it does - blowing air over "reusable glacier ice blocks." A fan, a case, & glacier ice blocks - must be $40-$50 worth of material for $275. There are gullible people who will buy it.

Red

Reply to
Red

Although this is trash, they were experimenting with big rigs, installing ice makers and then they could turn the big rigs off at night and run fans blowing thru the ice to keep the sleeping driver cool. I don't know if it ever went into production.

Yes it does - blowing air over "reusable glacier ice blocks." A fan, a case, & glacier ice blocks - must be $40-$50 worth of material for $275. There are gullible people who will buy it.

Red

Reply to
Art

Glacier ice blocs, that dont come from glaciers, you pay to freeze the "ice bolcks" in your frige and consume extra energy. Id say 8$ worth of chinese parts for 228.00

Reply to
ransley

you probably have to fill it with ice cubes and dump the water every half hour.

Steve Barker DLT

FWIW, the term "ton" as used in air conditioning capacities, is the amount of cooling a ton of ice melting will provide. That should give some idea as to the capacity of this miracle machine. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

They do the same thing in buildings here.

The building I work in is two story+ basement and covers a city block.

Three well insulated containers each about 8ft by 8ft and

16ft long freeze water midnight to 6am. The containers then cool the building thru it's existing chilled water system all day long. Even on days over 100 degrees, the ice will last to late afternoon. They get a big cut in electric rates by shifting that load from day time to night time.

---------------------- also, my first thought on the first post- shipping $48 -now we know the cost+shipping ;-)

it's like the crap we get in bills, $29 value- free- just pay $6 shipping.

Our Iranian dollar stores sell the exact same thing for $1.39.

-- larry / dallas

Reply to
larry

Some reactors use an ice-barrier inside the containment building structure to aid in condensing steam in the event of a LOCA (loss of coolant accident) thereby reducing any building overpressure.

Just a sidelight... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

A ton of cooling is melting a ton of ice from what temp, to what temp? And how quickly? I know the details. You left these facts out of your post. they are quite relevant.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No picture! OK, there is a picture on another page.

As I understand this, it only works in Iraq. Conditions even in Afghanistan may not be suitable. It certainly dangerous in the US.

What a waste. Although I've learned that a fan blowing on me where I sit and where I sleep makes it feel 10 degrees cooler. Learning to sleep without a blanket or cover sheet was worth at least 5 degrees. And learning to sleep naked (with no cover) was worth another 5 or 10 degrees.

Putting a speed control on the fan so that I can't hear it was the last touch. Haven't turned on the AC yet this summer.

Reply to
mm