Need special hinges

Are these real wood, or (like most Ikea stuff) melamine-covered chipboard, with some sort of edge trim? If the latter, you will have trouble reworking the door. Can you post a pointer to the cabinet on the Ikea site, so we can see what it looks like? Does Ikea sell narrower replacement doors and filler panels of any sort?

(looks at Ikea site, kitchen section)

Doesn't look promising. Most of the stuff is chipboard, and not much apparent choice in widths. (Unless maybe the door you have is wide, and you can buy a narrower one, and cut one edge off existing door, so you can shove cut edge against wall so only a factory edge shows. You'd need to add a hardwood rail vertically in cabinet to mount the hinges to, and to catch the edge of the cut-down door used as filler panel.)

I'd be tempted to take the casing off that side of the door opening, and flush it in somehow. How many doors in the room? Changing all the visible door casings might be less labor than modifying the cabinet, if there is absolutely no way to fine-tune reality and slide the whole wall of cabinets down an inch or two. Otherwise, just screw that door shut, and live with reaching around in that corner cabinet. Or add blocks in the cabinet carcass, and mount the door with velcro tape or magnets, so you can yank it off for those once-a-year pots and pans.

-- aem sends, seeing why people diss Ikea....

Reply to
aemeijers

On 1/9/2010 2:53 PM aemeijers spake thus:

The cabinets are all laminate-covered particle board, but the doors are solid wood. And no, they only have doors that match the widths of their cabinets (12", 15", etc.). I'm about to rip a piece off the door, which should solve the problem nicely. Will have to dig out the cavity for the hinge a little bit on the cut-off piece, so the hinge doesn't grab that part of the door. The hinge pivot seems to be just far enough in from the edge of the cabinet that this kluge should work. (I may have to trim the door some more, but not much, I hope.)

Ackshooly, none of this is in any way indicative of faults or shortcomings on the part of Ikea cabinets. They're actually quite appropriate to this situation (an inexpensive remodel of a garage into a living space). I'm going to write a review here on the subject any day now.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

If there is the usual 1/4" to 1/2" space between each cabinet, and just the fronts cover that gap, you could take them all down and rip an extra

1/8 or more inch off each one. Depends on how many cabinets are on that wall. Also the cabinet at the opposite end may be able to be modified to make it narrower easier than the one you are having trouble with.
Reply to
Tony

On 1/10/2010 6:46 AM Tony spake thus:

You don't understand (or I didn't make the installation clear enough in my description). There are two cabinets, one on each side of an all-in-one compact kitchen unit (stove/fridge/sink). There is ZERO space between anything. No way to take anything off of anything, except the one door on the cabinet at the end behind the door trim, which is what I'm going to do. (Plus the all-in-one unit can't be moved at all, since it's now plumbed in to the wall.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I see. I didn't catch that part, I pictured a wall of cabinets.

Reply to
Tony