Alternatives to Parliament hinges?

Is there any modern alternative to Parliament hinges? I need my double doors to swing right back against the wall, clearing the architrave around the door frame. Although I've never used Parliament hinges, there are two things I have a feeling I won't like about them:

1) When closed there is a big ugly metallic projection away from the door, perfect for small children to scalp themselves on.

2) Given that the axis of rotation is away from the door, won't there be some sideways movement of the door as it opens/closes, requiring a bigger gap between doors than your average butt hinge? My doors are narrow enough as they are without having to trim them back further to create a gaping chasm between them.

Perhaps I'm being optimistic, but I would have thought in the 21st century there may be some cunning alternative. For example, along the lines of a SOSS hinge (see

--- I thought that might do the trick but I don't think the hinge would create enough clearance when open to avoid the architrave?

Many thanks!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Brewer

You dont have to have 'square' edges to the door. You can plane the lock edge of the door so that the outside door width is slightly less than the inside door width thus making it possible for the door to open without having at unsightly gap. (Assuming inwards opening door).

IMHO fitting parliament hinges is a bit more difficult than normal hinges. The surfaces which the hinges screw onto on the door and the frame do need to be 'square' to ensure that the hinge is fully closed when the door is shut.

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare