Need some ideas on how to protect my tools from flooding risk

What you describe is a "stilt house", along a coastal region. Old fishing houses along the coast were on stilts (in the bay). The pilings were creosote telephone poles. Miami may still have one. They have disappeared from the keys and gulf coast of Florida.

-- I miss the Tiltin' Hilton

Reply to
Oren

Just so you can understand the layout:

?????????????? ? Car 1 ? ? ? ? S ? ? ???? ? H ? ?Stairs O ? ? ???? ? P ? ? Car 2 ? ? ? ? ? ??????????????

This looks pretty good on my screen; hope it does on yours as well.

While I'm confident of supporting the downward pressure of a jack on the concrete pad particularly with a steel base plate to spread the load, I'm not so sure about the ceiling. I may want to sun some sort of hortizontal steel between two of the pilings. I know the pilings are very stout.

That's a great link. One thing I looked at while I was there was called a "manual lift stacker"... looked like a forklift without the motor. It can raise 1000 lbs up to 63" which would certainly fill the bill. A little pricey at $116 but doable.

No SWMBO here. Got a girlfriend instead. She doesn't get to fill my garage with crap.

Definitely food for thought. There's several ways to go. Thanks to everyone who answered.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

I know that picture, Galveston, TX ?

Reply to
Oren

get some 35/55 gal. plastic drums. set plywood on top. strap drums to ply.

floats itself when water rises.

Reply to
a2rjh

Choices:

- I-Beam, proper distance

- .25 inch steel phish plate. 12" X 20'. A shop may only sell twenty feet of steel -minimum.

Reply to
Oren

I like this. I'd want to avoid the shipping costs if I could.... it almost doubles the cost. But I could fit anything less than 6 feet wide under it. With two of them stacked I could go all the way to the ceiling and then some. Of course, I lose the length of the block and tackle from the ultimate height I could lift.

More food for thought.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

Still gotta get those heavy tools onto the platform.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

Still quite common on the Carolina barrier islands, and in the mudflat parishes of Louisiana. ISTR some mortgage/insurance companies, and some local codes, require that style of construction, if you are in the wrong place on the flood plain map. Ground floor blowout walls are usually open lathe like an old porch base, for X percentage of the exposed faces. Lousy house for people that have trouble climbing steps. Some of the houses I walked through, the living floor is 14 feet above grade.

We are talking million dollar houses here, by the way, not fishing shacks. I think anybody that puts anything more expensive than a fishing shack on a barrier island (aka big sandbar) or exposed mudflat coast is a fool, but that is just me.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Yes

Reply to
gfretwell

And a remarkable photo.

Reply to
Oren

How about a simple ramp?

Reply to
mkirsch1

you're missing the fact that the OP stated this is a stilt house. the below the house part is at ground level. there is no place to pump the water to. your idea is like trying to bail a hole in the ocean.

Reply to
chaniarts

Can you image the footprint of a ramp gentle enough to manhandle a 500 lb jointer up 5 feet?

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

That's possibly the best ASCII art drawing I've ever seen on usenet :-)

Reply to
Jules

Holding tanks. Very, very big ones ;-)

Wonder if you could flash-boil it off as fast as it was pouring in? ;)

Reply to
Jules

The key word is MANHANDLE. Get a couple of buddies or neighbors to help you for a few minutes when you figure the storm of the century is on its way, and manhandle the equipment up the ramp. Heck, a rope and pulley, hook it to tow point on the car and drive forward.

A 10 foot ramp is only a 30 degree angle. 15 feet is only 20 degrees. Steep yes but it's not like he's running the equipment up and down the ramp every day. Maybe once every 10-15 years.

It just doesn't make sense to have an elaborate hoist system for something that is going to be used so infrequently. The ramp can be stowed up on the platform, or against a wall. It won't rust up solid and not work when you need it like metal pullies can.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Came over nicely here too, but I dont know what your letters mean. I'm assuming they represent some sort of structural posts and you drive between them. If so, your 'raised deck' would go either at the nose of one car between the stairs, or you may find it pretty useful to have one at the nose of each car. Just added storage there where it makes sense.

Ah, I wasnt clear. The metal bits were just to use when using the pulley (if you go that route). You'd have them up for a few hour at the most. The 'upper deck' you support from the floor (wood 4x4) with no attachment to the ceiling at all. Humm, thinking about it, there's gonna be a center spot at the front of the raised deck which you can't permanently mount a wood support to unless you have short enough cars to spare off that space forever. Adjustable temp metal jacks would be then shortened whern a heavy load is on the deck, and placed there (presumably you will never leave the cars in there if you suspect flooding to where you'd lift the tools).

I was thinking of that too, but it looked pnematic and the seals can go on you. The wrong time to find out it's too old to work, is when you need it. A simple mechanical pulley hasn't those issues.

Grin, things change and the GF of today, becomes the SWMBO eventually. At least, one of them will. Believe me, I know. I am one of those (hehehehe).

Yup! It was a fun one to think about.

Reply to
cshenk

What letters? There are just words: "car 1" and "car 2" are separated by the internal staircase leading to the upstairs. The front end of that room is open to each side as is a small passthrough by the garage doors. What you see in the front of the house is garage door, front door, then another garage door. But the inside of the garage is connected along that back wall with a good 8 feet in front of each car. Then there's another doorway leading into the back room, labeled "shop" That room is approximately 15' X 40'.

I wasn't proposing to build anything in the garage to store tools on. I'm going to keep my tools in the shop.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

Elaborate? $50 buys a chain hoist, $100 buys an electric hoist. For this application a chain hoist would be perfect.

1T Chain:
400lbs. Electric:
krw

Read SHOP vertical. Those are the letters and at first confused me.

s h o p

Reply to
Oren