Need recommendation for a chain saw

This will be our first chain saw and we don't anticipate heavy usage. i. e. we will not be felling trees and cutting up wood to burn. Would you please recommend a good basic all purpose chain saw. Our first job will be to cut off the tops of wooden fence posts. Any help will be appreciated.

Reply to
jplasater

This will be our first chain saw and we don't anticipate heavy usage. i. e. we will not be felling trees and cutting up wood to burn. Would you please recommend a good basic all purpose chain saw. Our first job will be to cut off the tops of wooden fence posts. Any help will be appreciated.

Reply to
jplasater

I have to agree with Bob. You may pay a little more for a Stihl chain saw but it's money well spent. I have a Stihl saw that is 20 years old. I used to heat with wood so it got a lot of use. I quit heating with wood 5 years ago and it sat for a couple of years. When I got it out this year it started right up. Before I bought the Stihl I had a McCulloch chain saw. It lasted a couple of years and died. Do yourself a favor and buy a good one (Stihl). It will be money well spent and it will last you a very long time.

Reply to
jimmyDahGeek

  1. Stihl
  2. Husquevarna
  3. ......
182. Homelite
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

McCullough was a fine manufacturer, but they have been sold out and getting parts is difficult. The brand is still being sold through Home Depot and probably other places.

Reply to
Stubby

I was replacing a 30 year old Craftsman/Poulan, which could be operated with only one hand. Now, a lot of them, including most Stihl models, need two hands. I elected to get the Stihl MS191T aka 'In the tree' saw that can be operated with one hand. (Supposedly, professional tree trimmers are more safety conscious.) I wouldn't recommend a one hand model for anyone who is not experienced, and does not intend to be extremely careful at all times.

Reply to
Bob

For such limited usage, I would suggest an electric chainsaw. See this article:

DanG

I second the electric suggestion; they work very well for smaller stuff reasonably near an outlet.

I have a 36" Huqvarnia which will cut anything I want to tackle, and a 14" Poulan I got from walmart for everything else. All thse saws have perfromed very well, and I use them a lot. I am especially impessed with that little Poulan considering how badly I've treated it.

Reply to
JohnH

I am surprised you even listed Homelite. They made a good product in the

60's. The last experience I had with Homelite was with their electrical products and they are crap. Could not even get parts, but still sold as new.

I believe your choice of cutting fence post off with a chain saw is a bit delusional. My Milwaukee sawzall would be my choice.

Reply to
SQLit

Pleae note the number I placed it in.

Perhaps. Chainsaws are usually gas, Sawzalls are usually electric. If the fence is 1/4 mile from the house, you need one heel of an extension cord. If it is along side the garage, you would be correct.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You'll go through a lot of sawzall blades, and it will take forever. A circular saw is a better choice.

Reply to
Bob

They do make DC cordless sawzalls and circular saws, but I assume his is AC.

Reply to
Bob

I just bought my second Stihl. Took me nine years to wear out the first. Couldn't be happier with both of them.

Reply to
Tom O'Connor

Not really sure why you want a chain saw. Consider using an electric generator and power tools such as a circular saw instead.

Anyway I have abused for about 6 years a 16" Poulain, changing only the spark plug (once) and the blades (5 times). It's still working great and the last job was to cut down two big oak trees and other limbs downed by Rita. YMMV

Reply to
Carpenter

I bought a $50 3hp electric McCulloch saw about five years ago and have been happy with it ever since, just cutting down (and into firewood) dead or otherwise unwanted trees around a suburban house.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

My McCullouch got to be around 15 years old and wore out a sprocket. And the chain stretcher. I got parts from

or 800-423-6302.

Reply to
Stubby

This will be our first chain saw and we don't anticipate heavy usage.

of the better brands. I just bought my second one in nine years and I do a lot of work with it.

Reply to
Tom O'Connor