Need ideas: Trim between granite tile and sheetrock

extend

sheetrock

bullnose

Since you've already trimmed the countertop with wood trim, using the same wood to trim the backsplash is a pretty obvious choice.

RicodJour

I have recently put black granite tile on my kitchen counter. I trimmed it with a hardwood strip and it looks great. I plan to extend the granite onto my backsplash and up to the bottom of my kitchen cabinets. At the end of the cabinets and kitchen counter is sheetrock wall which starts my dining area. Here is my problem..... Because I have put cement board down to underlay the tile and I will be putting up tile, the total thickness will be considerably thicker than the sheetrocked wall. Is there some sort of trim I can use to transition the greater thickness of the backsplash area to the sheetrock?? I was thinking that maybe wood has been used for this purpose... but, I haven't seen it. Suggestions please.

By the way, it was not my original intention to use the black granite for the backsplash. It was at the encouragement of some friends and my wife that we decided to go in this direction. My original idea was to do some simple ceramic tile which was both thinner and had bullnose pieces to make it all work.

Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo

or just get the edges of the granite edged or polished.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

transition

But that doesn't cover the edge of the cement backer board.

RicodJour

you cut thin pieces off a tile to cover that. polish the end of the tiles that are flat on the wall and show that edge. then again, why put up backerboard on the wall? tile on the drywall instead so you don't have this problem.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Right. If it's just tile on the drywall (I'm not a big fan of tile on drywall in any situation, although I know it's done all the time), you can use the Schlutter (sp?) tile edge - sold at home centers and such. It's a plastic strip, comes in many colors and is meant to deal with rough edges.

RicodJour

I'd think that the most esthetic way to pull this off would be to make some bullnose pieces from your tile (assuming no matching bullnoses already exist). I don't think I'd want to do this as a DIY job, 'tho -- if you have some stone places in town, it'd be worth a call or two to see what they'd charge to cut, grind, and polish up some bullnoses.

Reply to
Andy Hill