Installing wall tile... Move electrical outlet level to new wall?

I am installing ceramic tile to my kitchen counter and backsplash. With respect to the backsplash area, I will be installing both backer board and the tiles. This will make my wall about 1/2" thicker than it was before (I had formica before). How do I move the wall outlet so that it is level to the new ceramic wall? I know that this must be simple, but I have never done it before. Thanks.

Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo

Good luck moving it.

Assuming it is a standard single box, they make plastic inserts that fit on the old box to bring it flush with new surface. I have bought them at HD, but I presume they are available everywhere.

It is not legal, but I suspect most people would say that tile is not combustible, so why bother. But for $1...

Reply to
toller

depends on the box in the wall.

If it is a 4 square then just buy a new deeper ring. Rings come in flat,

1/4,1/2,5/8,3/4 and 1 inch and deeper. Some of these might be hard to find at the local box store.

If you have an fiber or plastic box or single gang gem box. Then you can buy extensions for the box. The extensions come in plastic or metal. Your choice.

If single gang I highly suggest that you bang a hole and just replace the box with a 4 square, depth as you need and a 2 gang ring. Plan on putting a gfci recpt in the box and your on your way to an upgraded look.

Reply to
SQLit

Dont forget Part P of Building Regs now requires John Prescott's sign off for finished work unless certified sparky. I gather those nice people at Building Control only charge about =A3180+vat for a visit.

Will most of us comply????

Reply to
Main Man