Need help with heating unit

So, Sunday night/Monday morning my heating unit in the attic conked out. Coldest day of the year so far, of course, but had been working fine this winter up to now.

It's a Goodman GHS8, and it's not even two years old yet.

It's the only thing not working - the basement heater works fine, all the appliances and lights, etc., so it's specific to the heater. I checked the fuse and it is ok.

It's not entirely that it doesn't work - if I turn the heat off via the thermostat and then back on I can hear the unit start up, but no air, hot or cold, comes out of the vents, then after a few minutes it shuts down.

I replaced the filter just a month ago.

There's an LED that is supposed to display error codes, but nothing shows up on it.

I'm no HVAC expert, but I was hoping there might be some things I could try myself before calling a repairman. It's probably something simple, but I'm just not sure what. Anybody have any ideas on what might be the cause?

Thanks!

Reply to
eglamkowski

imho:

Just a guess, but you discribe no circulator fan starting. You might want to get a professional in to service the unit.

tom @

LayPerson Tom

At two years, is it still under warranty? If so, you know what to do.

The heater is coming on, but the blower is not. It may be something as simple as the belt from motor to blower is broken. It may be the motor is not working, it could also be a relay or some other control. Check to see if you can turn the motor by hand.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

But make sure the breaker supplying power to the heating unit is OFF before you stick your hands inside it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Well, I took the cover off and the LED was blinking, but you can't see it with the cover on. 3 flashes. According to the manual, that means "Pressure switch circuit not closed; induced draft blower IS operating", which it further says could be any of the following things being wrong:

1) Pressure switch hose is blocked, pinched or connected improperly. 2) Blocked flue or weak induced draft blower. 3) Incorrect pressure switch setpoint or malfunctioning switch contacts. 4) Loose or improperly connecting wiring.

Well, if the wiring went bad I'll have to call in a repairman, but I could probably fix the others, if I knew what they were. I don't have a diagram of the unit labeling each part. Anybody know where I can find some good diagrams? I'm googling now, but haven't found anything yet... It's a gas furnace.

Reply to
eglamkowski