Need Advice on Mounting a Piece of Granite in Countertop

We are going to be installing new counter tops (laminate w/ wood edge) in our kitchen. I have a piece of granite that I would like to install in the countertop near the stove. Does anybody have advice on mounting the granite into the countertop. I would prefer to install it flush or near flush with the countertop.

Reply to
Tom Sikes

I have two instances of granite mounted in wooden countertops in my house. One has beveled-edge granite resting in a rectangular hole in the wood, and one has square-cut granite resting on a ledge that is cut into the wood with a router. What kind of tools do you have?

installing the granite is the easy part.

cut a beveled (15 degrees) cutout in the laminate top grind down the edges of the granite (same bevel) to fit in the cutout (all 4 sides get beveled). make sure the top is the widest part of the beveled edges.

cutouts in laminate tops for cutting boards are a disaster waiting to happen.

you should be asking "how do I seal the edge of the laminate cutout"

M.C. somewhere in Ca.

Reply to
Mike Columbo

At my house, the sealant is gravity. It's a free product available everywhere.

Tom Sikes