Need advice on ice maker valve replacement

The ice maker inlet valve on my 1979 Whirlpool fridge finally died. I can't explain why it failed so quickly.

Anyway, I ordered what's supposed to be the correct replacement valve, which is this one:

However, this one has a quick connect fitting for the water supply line, but the instructions are for an apparently earlier model with screw fittings. I have no experience with quick connect fittings, and don't quite knpw what to do.

My water line is your standard 1/4" poly tubing. Do I just stuff that into the QC opening, or do I have to transition to copper first? And if the poly is ok, do I need to insert one of those anti-collapse sleeves into the tubing first?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
Peabody

Just stab it.

Fred Oinka

I know two cases, an ice maker and a humidifier, where poly tubing sprang a leak by itself. Copper doesn't do that.

Reply to
Micky

I also know one case where copper line came off the icemaker over the weekend and flooded the kitchen and hald the main room of the office. Soaked the wool carpet (glued down to concrete) in the office area and the engineered hardwood flooring. The hardwood was a total loss, and all the cabinets had to be removed to replace the flooring - over $30,000 total damage - all because the guy who installed the coffee maker compromized the connection to the icemaker.....

Reply to
clare

What do the instructions say? I see both a copper compression type fitting nut and a plastic nut in the bag. Plus the valve has two ends. I would think the valve would accommodate both copper and plastic supply lines.

Reply to
trader_4

Center posted, as your text was.

To the OP, a coule folks have had bad experiences with poly tubing. Please replace with copper.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like a a very expensive mistake. Hope the coffee guy was insured for that kind of thing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This is called "in-line posting". It's the easiest to understand because each comment follows the prior poster's words that one is commenting on.

It's the preferred method in Usenet and without a doubt within Usenet etiquette.

I've used it here for 20 years. Why the sudden complaining about it?

Otoh, if you want to complain, you don't have your sig preceded by the proper line so that the sig isn't quoted when one replies. Where you have one hyphen should be two hyphens and a space, "-- " without the quotes.

Reply to
Micky

Not sure who's insurance ended up paying for it - it happened in an insurance office - - - - -

Reply to
clare

It's just Stormy - he'll bitch about something, so it may as well be inline posting as anything elae.

His crap doesn't stink either - -

Reply to
clare

A perfect example of "those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. Those that can do neither, criticize.

Did you hear about the man who thought he was dead? This guy firmly believed he was dead, even though he was a living, normally functioning human being. Well, his wife persuaded him to visit a psychiatrist, who tried in vain to convince him that he was in fact alive. Finally, the psychiatrist hit upon a plan. He showed the man medical reports and scientific evidence that dead men do not bleed. After thoroughly convincing the man that dead men do not bleed, the psychiatrist took out a pin and pricked the man's finger. When the man saw the drop of blood trickle down his finger, his eyes grew wide. "Ha!" he cried, "Dead men do bleed after all!"

Reply to
Robert Green

I wondered if they raised their own rates after paying themselves. Maybe even cancelled their own policy. That would be so fitting!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The plastic nut in the bag is part of the extension needed for the line to the ice maker. This is needed for some older boxes like mine. With this new "universal" replacment, the old line is no longer long enough.

I managed to get this done in only about three hours. Now you're gonna ask why it took that long, but if you ever saw me trying to do plumbing, you would understand.

First, I had everything backward. From the instructions, which weren't for this valve anyway, it looked like the standard compression fitting was for the line to the ice maker, and the quick connect was for the supply line.

But after trying lots of different positions, and trying to see how this would actually work, it became apparent that I was wrong. Then, just glancing at the valve in the right light, I saw a barely visible direction-of-flow arrow. So, the compression fitting is actually at the supply line, which is where I think it should be, and the quick connect is for the line to the ice maker, where even if it leaks it won't leak much.

Then all I had to do was figure out exactly where the valve would be mounted, add the extension to the ice maker line, connect everything, and hope it wouldn't leak. And of course hope it would work.

Anyway, it did the first fill cycle successfully, and so far nothing leaks. That's a good sign. But I'll leave the fridge pulled out for a couple days so I can make sure it isn't leaking. Then I may have to adjust the ON time for the correct fill level.

Reply to
Peabody

More fitting is they denied they claim and THEN cancelled themselves!

More likely too given the exlusions I've see regarding flood damage.

(-:

Reply to
Robert Green

I've never been a fan of "Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach."

I'm a perfect example of one who can and also teaches.

Many people take great pleasure in teaching others to do the things that they themselves can do very well and then watching the others succeed.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Insurance BROKERAGE. Can't raise the rates. Can't cancel coverage, and doesn't control the coverage./ payment

Reply to
clare

Flood damage is interesting. Water over land is not covered without a specific rider that you can not get for any price in flood prone areas. Named perils doesn't cover any flood damage UNLESS it is specified. Also known as specified perils.

All perils covers floods - except for over land -no insurance covers "acts of war" and many don't cover "acts of God" unless specified (lightning, wind, earthquake etc)

Reply to
clare

+1 I also taught officially for several years, and now teach unofficially in many ways.

And I can do what I teach - or in some cases I used to be able.

Reply to
clare

There's the rub. Age changes the equation, but come on guys, it's a platitude or a homily or something like that. I've forgotten! (-: Anyway it's not meant to be literally true and it's more a dig against critics than teachers.

Reply to
Robert Green

Interesting is not what I've heard it called when someone has a flood and the first thing the adjuster says is "this isn't covered." I am not sure the US flood insurance situation is the same as Canada's, though. I think we foolishly replace houses in flood plains far too often although that might be changing.

Reply to
Robert Green