NEC question -- can a circuit have both 220v and 110v outlets

I suspect that the answer is no, but want to double check.

Residential.

Can I have a circuit, protected by a double pole circuit breaker, that would have a neutral and both 220v, as well as 110v, outlets. Obviously, wiring would match the breaker's capacity.

thanks

Ignoramus2331

No

Reply to
<kjpro

Yes.

"Multiwire branch circuits shall supply only line-to-neutral loads. ... Exception: Where all ungrounded conductors of the multiwire branch circuit are opened simulaneously by the branch-circuit overcurrent device." [2005 NEC, Article 210.4(C)]

Reply to
Doug Miller

Bzzzt! Sorry, but thanks for playing.

Specifically permitted unter NEC 210.4(C), Exception 2.

Reply to
Doug Miller

This is great. I have existing conduit going into my basement "workshop". It supplies 110v right now. I want to rewire it to supply

20A 220v, with neutral, and will add 110v outlets on both legs, as well as 220v outlets.

On the main panel, I will use a double pole 220v breaker so that ``all ungrounded conductors of the multiwire branch circuit are opened simulaneously by&#39;&#39; that breaker.

The reason for it I want to convert my drill press to three phase with VFD, mostly for tapping. I need 220v for it.

Also, on the same circuit, outside the basement wall, I want to add outdoor receptacles (110v and 220v) for my pool&#39;s pump. It would be GFCI protected and I will use outdoor rared hardware.

The above mentioned pump runs a water slide on my inflatable round pool, which also doubles as a water filter.

Ignoramus2331

According to Ignoramus2331 :

That sounds _way_ more than can be supported off a single circuit,

240/120 or otherwise. You&#39;d be better off running multiple circuits, some dedicated 240, others 120. Or put a subpanel in the basement and do it from there.
Reply to
Chris Lewis

Some pumps use a lot of power. The one you are talking about is probably not as high as some, but you should consider it.

The drill&#39;s power consumption could be high too.

Reply to
Terry

Now *that* part is a potential problem.You&#39;ll want to split the multiwire circuit into two separate 120V circuits on the LINE (input) side of the GFCI, or use a double-pole GFCI breaker. Those aren&#39;t cheap.

Good reason for using GFCIs. But why the same circuit?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Right now, the pump is 1 honest HP and draws about 10A 110V. I do not think that it will be a big deal for a 20A circuit.

Ignoramus2331

The pump is 1 HP, about 10 amps or even a little less (I should look at the nameplate). It is a lawn sprinkler pump by Wayne.

Ignoramus2331

I would do the former (protect the outdoor outlets with an outlet GFCI, separate GFCI for 110v and 220v outlets).

All slots taken on the panel.

Ignoramus2331

Half-height breakers are a good solution to that, if your panel supports them.

Reply to
Doug Miller