Mystery sound in my kitchen (2023 Update)

That the story you're sticking with?

Reply to
Meanie

I had it happen to me years ago.

It was a high pitched electronic whine, everywhere in the house, much louder near the ceiling, but nothing in the attic, nothing outside.

Of course it was 3:00 AM. I probably spent a half hour going from room to room with a stepladder trying to isolate it, going in and outside just to see.

Then I was outside scratching my head, and switched hands. There it was. My battery operated wrist watch was making it. When I climbed a ladder it echoed off the hard plaster ceiling and got louder. Outside it just was absorbed.

Reply to
TimR

Isn't modern science suppose to make things easier for us????

Reply to
hrhofmann

IDK is it?

Reply to
Tekkie?

I just came home to the same problem, but thanks to this thread, i was able to trace it to my meat thermometer in a drawer and take out the batteries. Thank you!

Reply to
silverspider87

silvers...:

!

Batteries? In a meat thermometer?

Charmed life I'm sure.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Instant read digital Polder, Thermopen, etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And they aren't that expensive. Basic ones that work well can be had for $15, maybe less and can be used to measure cold temps accurately too, like the temp of air coming out of your AC vents.

Reply to
trader_4

Theckhmah uses an old mercury-bearing rectal thermometer.

Reply to
None

Thank you!!!!!!! A noise started in our kitchen last night, and thanks to reading this thread this morning, we discovered it was the digital meat thermometer.

We wouldn't have figured that out for a long time. Was wondering if we would have to move and whether we should contact NASA or Homeland Security.

Thanks!

Reply to
susanbarkerandcharlieknuth

I had an identical situation, but instead of the high pitched noise coming from the meat thermometer, it was from the gas pilot light. let me explain :

after i read through this thread, i checked my digital meat thermometer and found there was no noise coming from it. Then I painstakingly followed th e noise for half an hour and traced it to my gas stove (I have a vintage O Keefe and Merritt stove). The tone seemed like it was coming from the pilo t light for the oven (for my model, there are a total of 3 - one for each s ide of the burners, and one underneath the oven, located in the broiler dra wer). Then I shut off the gas to the oven, and the high pitched noise stop ped!! I brushed the white ash off of the pilot light and adjacent surfaces , and cleaned the area with some compressed air. Turned back on the gas, r elit the pilot light, and voila! no more noise.

hope this helped.

Reply to
jeffkshu

Oren posted for all of us...

drawer). Then I shut off the gas to the oven, and the high pitched noise stopped!! I brushed the white ash off of the pilot light and adjacent surfaces, and cleaned the area with some compressed air. Turned back on the gas, relit the pilot light, and voila! no more noise.

It might have been gerbil hair. I wonder how they made out after all this time. It burns me up when gerbils are hurt.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Holy cow, this was helpful! I found the battery-operated candy/oil thermometer in my kitchen drawer, removed the battery and the high-pitched squeal died. Nice! Thanks, everyone!

Reply to
adriennesretailemail

Thank you for this thread! It's been a maddening sleepless night due to a high pitched noise coming from the kitchen. Checked all the appliances. At 3am I started searching the internet. After finding this thread I went straight for the drawer with my digital cooking thermometer. It was screaming! Pulled the battery. Finally, Silence!

Reply to
deerpath4

I just had the same experience, what time

Reply to
alphacash2015

Time ? Looks like Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 4:30:53 PM UTC-4

IOW, 13 years ago ;-)

Reply to
Retired

Ours was a Sssscat, can that is supposed to sense a cat on a counter & make an unpleasant noise... forgotten in a cabinet for 5 years.

Reply to
rochellenp

Omg I was reading your post and sure as shit it was a meat thermometer in our utensil drawer. Thank you soooo much. I was ready to call our gas company. So relieved. Best to you and family in 2018.

Reply to
rmc19nalcrest

Thank u Brad This just happened to us, we searched shut off everything then I read your post..THANK YOU

Reply to
fogy808

I was super intrigued because after trying everything, as you did, including checking out the solar heat panels above kitchen - I was reading your posts with excitement as I'm having exactly same issue!!

And then exactly same resolution. Meat thermometer inn drawer by oven. Couudht locate until your post. So while perhaps embarrassing - helped me tremendously! Thanks

Reply to
steven