Mystery sound in my kitchen (2023 Update)

It is present all the time, day and night, windy or not, hot or cold?

Check the windows, try opening one and see if the sound stops.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I'm hoping that someone can help.

We have a very high pitch sound, somewhere in our kitchen that we can not find. We even shut off the electricity to the whole house to see if we could localized it. Still there with no electric!

I am absolutely stumped.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Blair

Shut off the main water supply and bleed off residual pressure by opening a couple of faucets.

If you have gas appliances (range), shut its gas off; often a pilot light will squeal.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Did you turn off *all* the electric, including 240V (usually an outside panel, the in-house breakers don't control things like your range that run on 240V)?

We have a mechanical clock on our Jenn-Aire range that makes a very annoying and hard to locate noise sometimes.

JGM

Reply to
JGM

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JGM) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m12.aol.com:

Where do YOU live? Everywhere I've been, the only thing not controlled from inside was the air conditioner (control box next to the compressor)

NJBrad

Reply to
Brad Bruce

It started yesterday. Much, much too high a pitch to be wind. And, absolutely steady in tone and volume. Brad

Reply to
Brad Blair

I might try that. We did open a few facets to see it changes, but it didn't. The source is also very hard to localize, but does not seem to come from a water facet. Also, it never changes in pitch or volume and is very high pitched.

It "sounds" electronic, but I don't see how its possible!

Brad

Reply to
Brad Blair

Reply to
Brad Blair

Got a digital clock radio that might have a backup battery in it? And, did you try the suggestion (already posted) about opening a couple of faucets and turning off the main water supply? Finally, where is your water heater located?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The note about the gas line (assuming you have gas heat or a gas stove) is a good idea. It also could be a safety issue.

Also look for any battery powered or back up devices including smoke or CO detectors. How about your telephone? Disconnect the line where it comes into your home.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Don't forget that the 17 year cicadas are coming out now and they are known ventiloquists. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Success!

You won't believe this....kind of embarassing, actually.

It was a battery-powered meat thermometer. No kidding.

Thanks to all that helped.

Reply to
Brad Blair

damn. i was hoping it was a ghost or something....

randy

Reply to
xrongor

We had a case where a brand new electronic controlled range was intermittently beeping. We had our technicians go out 3 times and never heard the sound. So at the insistence of the customer we ordered in a new electronic control to install into the range.

While preparing the range for service the technician finally heard the sound. He traced it to a nearby drawer where a smoke detector with the batteries running low was found to be the culprit.

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

clipped

When hubby and I were newlyweds, I had one of those "what's that noise" moments. We were in living room with the TV on. He could not hear it, of course. A butter wrapper had fallen out of the trash can and was being chewed on by ants. Ant spray = no more sound.

Reply to
NorMinn

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Heard _what_ go off? The high-pitched noise or the air conditioner?

Reply to
Matt

I had a similar thing happen to me at the office last week. A beeping sound coming from somewhere around my desk that I couldn't localize. Shut off my laptop, monitor, disconnected every wire, still happened. Finally traced it(after much puzzling) to the box that I was using as a 'stand' for my laptop. A box which held a cordless phone...whose battery was running down... Augh!

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

Thank you sooooo much!!!!!!! I had no idea what the sound was until I read your post!!!!! It was a battery operated meat thermometer!!!!!!!!!!!! It wa s making me ?

Reply to
susan.brumel