Mysteries of Toiletology

Okay, so I was reassured on Toiletology.com that replacing the toilet and new wax ring over the flange/drain needs two people. My buddy held the toilet, I got down on the floor to eyeball how close the "hole" was to the wax ring/flange/drain. But then we both had to make sure the bolt holes in the porcelain accommodated the bolts, and unless you're cross-eyed or have a third eye in the middle of your forehead, you can't have your eyes on the bolts *and* on the drain/ring at the same time.

So I asked two handyman/contractor friends if you can EVER be sure you go the wax ring in exactly the right place, and they said No. They said just check and see if the toilet leaks.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that the toilet might not leak at all but just *seep.* The seeping is ten times worse than leaking, because it'll lead to long-term rot.

Now I'm afraid to use the terlet.

Reply to
tioga0630

I've always installed them myself, never had another person helping me. I attach the wax ring to the toilet then lower it down over the bolts. I typically use the wax rings that use the little plastic funnel type thing and I've never had a problem finding the drain. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Dealer's choice I suppose but I'm curious why you don't just set the wax ring on the flange, then set the toilet? Anyway I've set a gazillion of them that way and avoided the ring falling off in the process of moving the fixture. Allows me to set it down for one reason or another. Just makes more sense. I've never seen a plumber do it any other way either.

I know a few old timers who still pack a ring of plumbers putty around the hole in the toilet base, in addition to placing the ring on the flange. Stops seepage they say.

Reply to
G Henslee

a toilet wax ring is about 10 times thicker than it really needs to be for a good reason:

it has a lot of room for error!

don't worry, be happy!

Reply to
cowboy

The new sealing devices have no wax, they just use VERY large "O" rings. They come with three rings to allow adapting to a smaller throat but only two rings are usually needed.

The advantages are that a seal is assured and that they are reusable. Thus, you can fish around putting it on without damaging a wax ring. Blue

Reply to
Blue

Never really thought about it. I suppose I've done it both ways actually. The most recent toilet however, I attached the ring to the toilet first only cause that's how Toto recommended installing it. Seemed to work fine. Had to mash the ring down a bit to keep it from falling off but at the end of the day, I still got a good seal and it only took about 20 mins. to do the full install. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Ha! Thanks, Sailor! Heck, after pressure-washing, bleaching, and spit-polishing this pretty little pink old gem, I'm half in love...with my terlet.

(Maybe I better take this thread to another group :) )

Reply to
tioga0630

I had never seen or done it any other way either. Ring on floor and if the bolts go through the toilet holes you are centered. Mash it down and tighten, done.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yep, always sucks to see behind the big curtain. Ignorance is bliss, lol.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert