My Raccoon Doesn't Seem To Like Antifreeze

On Jul 6, 9:26am, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Way Back Jack) wrote:

re: "Anyway, one time in the past using a Haveaheart, the damn dumb cat got trapped"
Is "the damn dumb cat" in danger of eating the poisoned food?
On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 06:34:36 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Kept him inside last night.
On Jul 6, 9:26am, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Way Back Jack) wrote:

Don't know about current Hav-a-harts but mine will take a groundhog but not a big raccoon for which they had a bigger trap. I watched the raccoon I was after enter the trap, trip it, and both doors closed but did not latch as he was too big. He must have tripped the trap a half dozen times before I gave up.
If you must poison, I would suggest rat poison mixed with peanut butter. You can't get in trouble trying to kill rats with poison.
I really doubt Dexcool will do the job. It's a different chemical. Buy the cheap green stuff. You might have used too much, also. Just dampen the catfood with the green antifreeze.
D-Con, the mouse stuff, might also work. I've seen mouse poison, designed to look like wheat or grain.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 12:42:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Way Back Jack) wrote:

Better check about using antifreeze. Penalty could be much worse than trap and transport. A local got 60 days jail time for cruelty to animals, check your state laws.
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 12:42:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Way Back Jack) wrote:

Well, maybe the stuff worked after all. No evidence of rac damage from last night.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Way Back Jack) wrote:

I get raccoon damage in my garden to, but it isn't anything I can't live with. Raccoons gotta live too.
--

- Billy

How about parking yourself outdoors in a nice chair at night with the .22 and capping the animal without trapping it first? Get yourself a Sure-Fire light, designed for making targets think "What the f&&k??" and stopping just long enough to get nailed.
www.surefire.com
They're ridiculously bright.
Way Back Jack wrote:

Taste it and see. Seriously, just touch a drop to your tongue and then spit it out, it won't hurt you in that quantity.
Mouse bait would be more effective and less likely to poison someone's pet, or use compound 1080 or 1081 and be careful.
Trapping and drowning would be more humane (and should be a dignified way to go for a raccoon since they know how to drown dogs), and a lot safer. HTH
Bob
snip

snip
So one time a dumb cat got caught in the trap but you would never expect the same cat to eat the poisoned food? How about the neighbors dog?
If it is legal to poison then it is legal to trap.
replying to Way Back Jack, Bob wrote: If it does contain the bittering agent or you suspect that it does, add something to sweeten it, I have​ a coon that I have been hunting for a week, won't go in a havahart trap, reaches in through the wire, digs under it, flipped it over, I have staked it down with cement bricks on all sides, covered​ it ECT, and still it gets the bait and doesn't spring the trap, I have a garden and soon chickens that will be 20' from where it prowls, it got into the trap 3 times yesterday 1 time while I was running a trip line to catch it, sneaky ******. I didn't want to but seen no other choice, so I mixed antifreeze with the bittering​ agent, brown sugar, powdered sugar, honey, until it was like a paste then some milk, 3 slices of bread, 1 can cat food and half a jar of peanut butter, note I used a lot of antifreeze, about four cups worth, they say it only tskes a couple table spoons, but hey I wanted to make sure, I put a bowl inside the cage trap with the blended mixture, a closed it so no cat or other animals could get it only what has been getting all the stuff in my would be compost pile and reaching in the trap, so this morning bowl was completely empty, so I'd say it was a success. Hopefully this battle will be over. Good luck to anyone that does the same, ohh and throw away anything that the antifreeze touches of course
replying to Way Back Jack, gcs wrote: this is disgusting. raccoons are highly intelligent, sentient animals with family structures. the onus is on all of you to proof your homes and properties. so tired on the mad dash to pass on accountability to someone or something else in this nation's society. look at yourself first. saddest bunch of snowflakes ever who can't take responsibility for humane, preventive measures (locks on cans like when camping). you encroached on them. not the other way around.
On 05/06/2017 11:14 PM, gcs wrote:

How to BBQ a coon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?vjtvp24f8-0