My DW680 planer ate a belt?!

My Dewalt DW680 started smoking. I stopped, opened it up, and found it had destroyed the belt.

Did I do anything wrong? Is it defective? Or is the belt a consumable?

Reply to
Toller

When my vacuum cleaner eats a belt, it's usually because there is so much hair around the bearings of the brush roller that it's bogging down, and the drive spindle chews through the belt.

In the case of your planer, I would look at the driven parts and see if everything moves freely. Most likely something there needs fixing. If you just replace the belt, it'll probably chew up the new one too.

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

If the blades are dull and you take too big of a bite, things like that can happen (especially if you hit a knot) . Or the belt just may have been worn anyway.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski