Mower service

I've got a 1989 Sears Craftsman 30" riding mower (502.254172) that refuses to start. My early investigation says something in the fuel system as the plug is dry.

Since I don't have an excess of free time to check it out I'll likely wind up needing to have a mower repair shop check it out. Considering its age I'm wondering what to expect. Such as should I consider a carb overhaul, belts, tranny? Or might the time have come to consider replacing it if the parts and labor for a good checkup add up to real money?

How long do these things last?

Reply to
Jim

Did you try Either in the carb " Starting fluid " direct inject into the motor or in the filter. If it kicks with Either, Ok , it could be the carb etc . If it doesn't it could be a safety switch under the seat , wires, coil, etc etc . Try starting fluid first. Do you leave fuel stored in it , or=A0 do you run it dry , and Re dry it ... Old fuel 6 mo turns to Gunk in a carb .

Reply to
m Ransley

Take it to a independant shop and tell them you don't want to invest more in repair than it is worth.

Don't specify what you want done such as carb OH, belts, etc. You don't know if it needs any of those, but they can quickly determine what is needed to make it a dependable and usable mower. Trust them.

How long do mowers last? Kinda like asking how long a car lasts - it depends on many things: Maintenance, amount of use, quality construction, etc.

I have a Snapper I bought in 1973, and it still works fine.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

No kick

I checked the fuse and it looks ok. As to the safety switch if disconnected does that act then as a bypass? Seems like it might as the internal prongs contact each other.

Machine was running just a week ago. Was sputtering some after climbing a slight grade, then would smooth out.

Reply to
Jim

OK guys I've got it running again. Seems I may have had some bad gas. Draining the bowl helped.

Now I'm trying to set the carb adjustments. Using the manual I've easily identified which screws are which. However above the idle screw and more recessed is yet another adjustment screw. The manual doesn't address this one. What is it for and what is a recommended beginning setting?

Reply to
Jim

low speed circuit. turn it all the way in then back out 1.5 turns. at an idle turn it in until it stumble, now back it out until it stumbles . go 1/2 way in between and it'll be damn near perfect, same with the high speed jet on the bottom. set the idle jet first , they are dependent on each other. Chip

Reply to
Chip Stein

Thanks

Reply to