mower runs for a couple of minutes only

I have a Scotts Turf Vac3 mower. A while ago, I noticed that occasionally it wouldn't start when hot. Now, the problem is very severe. When I start the engine the first time (when the engine is cold), no problems. But the engine would run for only a couple of minutes. Then, it'd quit. Once it quits, I can't start it again. I need to wait for an hour before it'd start again. But once it starts, it'd run for a couple of minutes and quit. And the waiting game begins.

I changed the filter and the spark plug to no avail. I tried running the engine with the gas tank cap off. No use. I cleaned the carburetor. Nothing changed.

What could be the problem? Thanks.

Reply to
John Smith

What kind of ignition?

A cracked coil, allowing moisture into the coil would act this way.

When the coil heats, the cracks expands

What type ignition?

Reply to
Oren

Thanks for the quick response. The mower has a Tecumseh OVRM120-22032E engine. I looked it up and found that it has a solid state ignition.

Reply to
John Smith

While the mower is on the "hot shut down" unscrew the spark plug, lay it on the frame, reconnect the wire. Put the whole thing in the shade so you can see, and yank the starter. Look for spark. If you get spark, think other than ignition. Please let us know what you find.

It's a long shot. But I've known of mowers that needed an oil change to behave similar. I like Castrol, which has worked well for me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Could also be valve clearance problems.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It still has a coil. You need to take the plug out and see if ithas spark once you get it hot. Basically 98% of the problems wiht these small engines are fuel or ignition. Check for spark to eliminate or confirm the ignition.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Are you sure there is gas flow to the carb? A clog in the filter screen at the bottom of the tank (or in the hose) could cause this since eventually enough gas would get through to fill the float or diaphragm chamber of the carb so the engine starts and runs normally but quickly dies and won't restart. An hour later enough has seeped through to let it start again.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

John Smith wrote the following:

You didn't mention checking the oil. Did you?

Reply to
willshak

wierdly my mower with briggs engine has the exact same prolem and the local repair shop is flooded with broken mowers

Reply to
hallerb

When it wont start spray in some starting fluid, and remove the plug and check for spark. What you describe is what has happened to me several times and it was the ignition module, eventualy it wont start at all. it could also be the coil but starting fluid and checking for spark rule out ingition.

Reply to
ransley

I would have thought the spark plug. You got 2 bad plugs and keep swapping them? I've seen it happen.

Reply to
LSMFT

Cheap check. Does it run okay with the gas cap removed?

As the gas is consumed, more is required. If the gas cap does not have an adequent vent, the resulting vacuum prevents additional gas from being consumed.

Or it could be a malevolent foreign god.

Reply to
HeyBub

Hmm. Spray some ether into the carb, then pull the plug and give er a big yank. I sense an ether explosion about to occur. Like the old limerick "and lightning shot....."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm nominating this one for an award. Spray ether into the carb, pull the plug, and yank the cord. This could be confused with a solar flare, or GI flame thrower, having burned down four or five houses. What a maroon.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Champion had a bunch of bad CJ-8, years ago. Try different brand.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Take a trip to the small engine repair shop. If you wait for an answer here above the noise of the constant bickering between know-it-allsm mowing season will be over.

Reply to
Chief Two Eagles

Gas or Spark problem, I'd dribble a little gas into the throat of the carb and try to start it. If it starts and runs a little its a fuel problem, no start its a spark problem.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I checked it. No sparks. I think I can rule out carburetor and gas tank vent now. What next? Replacing the ignition module?

Reply to
John Smith

Yes. I'm sure there is gas going into the carburetor. When I removed the carburetor and disconnected the tube going from the gas tank to the carb, gas gushed out of the tube. And when the mower "hot stopped", I immediately removed the bottom screw from the carb bowl, gas ran out of the bowl.

Reply to
John Smith

Actually, I changed the oil along with air filter and spark plug.

Reply to
John Smith