Mower Rear-Wheel Ratchet-Spring Frustration

I have an old MTD self- propelled lawnmower that has a ratchet assembly on each rear wheel which depends on a threaded nylon leaf- spring to operate.

The previous springs lasted several years each, but just this summer I bought a replacement set after the previous ones failed (broke) and the replacements have just lasted seven weeks, and seem to want to curl or jump off their tracks.

Should I just try another pair, or has anyone found a good workaround? I can just lift the rear wheels off the ground to back the mower up if necessary, but that doesn't allow mowing in reverse and is a little hard on the back.

Reply to
mimus

Nev' mind. Gonna try internal retaining disks.

Reply to
mimus