Moving/removing snow

Does anyone have any experience with the item found at this web site:

It's called a Vertex Ergonomic Snow Shovel. It is essentially a small snow plow on wheels. I'm thinking of getting it. I live near Buffalo, NY and we get quite a bit of snow.

Also, what about this stuff:

It's Brookstone Bare Ground System. You're supposed to spray it on your driveway and it stops 3 to 4 inches of snow from sticking. Then what? Do you spray more on to stop more snow from sticking? Can this stuff really work?

Anyone with experience with these two things?

Thanks!

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley

The Brookstone liquid is probably urea fertizilizer solution. Save your money.

Having lived in Rochester NY myself, regarding the shovel, save your money and move. My wife and her whole family got out of Buffalo 15 or so years ago and never looked back.

Art

There is no shovel, no matter what it looks like, that can compare to = even a cheap snow blower - 7-8 hp, a 24 inch blade, and a 2 stage = impeller.

Spray on snow stopper - give your head a shake.

--=20 PDQ

-- "Lesley" wrote in message = news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... | Does anyone have any experience with the item found at this web site: |=20 |

|=20 | It's called a Vertex Ergonomic Snow Shovel. It is essentially a small | snow plow on wheels. | I'm thinking of getting it. I live near Buffalo, NY and we get quite = a | bit of snow. |=20 | Also, what about this stuff: |=20 | =
|=20 | It's Brookstone Bare Ground System. You're supposed to spray it on | your driveway and it stops 3 to 4 inches of snow from sticking. Then | what? Do you spray more on to stop more snow from sticking? Can this | stuff really work? |=20 | Anyone with experience with these two things? |=20 | Thanks! |=20 | Lesley |

Reply to
PDQ

No one has experience with it as this is the first year it has been on the market. They make some nice claims for it indicating that it is possible for people who might not otherwise be able to shovel a drive to do so. Only time will tell. I am skeptical.

It is likely as noted fertilizer repackaged and sold for 10 times the original price.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If you have a couple inches of powder, that looks like it would do a great job. But then so would anything else. I seriously doubt you could get it to move with 4" of wet snow. BTW, you don't shovel snow, you push it. Get a snow pusher. Make one run down the driveway and then push on either side towards the sides. At the end you might have to break out the snow shovel. If it is snowing steadily, go out every few hours. It is much easier to do

3" 3 times then try to deal with 9". However, I will second the recommendation of a snow blower. Unless you are on a very tight budget, don't bother with a small electric; they are not much easier than a pusher. Get a medium sized gas; I got mine at Sears for about $300 a couple years ago.

Wouldn't that be great if it worked! It would put all the snow plows out of business.

I have to drive to Buffalo on Tuesday; sure hope that storm holds off.

Reply to
Toller

It seems like an over-engineered version of the snow-pusher I use. Mine has a normal shovel handle, but it's a 16" - 18" plow at the end. This is my favorite manual snow mover. If you don't try more than 4" or so, it is the easiest way to clear a driveway. I bought this years ago, and tried to find a replacement last year. I don't know why, but they weren't available.

I'm not sure what the wheels get you, since the plow blade is good enough. And I wonder about that handle.

But the absolute best for my 200-ft driveway is the plow guy. Last year was a pretty big snow year for us and it cost me a little over $200. My driveway was clear enough to drive out to work every morning and totally clear when I got home from work. My 30-yr-old Ariens blower works great, but it's still a bit of work. Nothing like cutting the lawn.

--Marc

Lesley wrote:

Reply to
Marc

If the blade was bigger, you could use it to scoop and carry off snow. However, with that blade, you can't do much except push. I was expecting something closer to this with wheels. Sort of like a low-profile scooping wheelbarrow :-)

(BTW - no endorsement of this item.)

In the long run, a snowblower may be cheaper.

If you have a real problem with snow (We in Toronto are always amused to see the snowstorms run south of Lakes Erie and Ontario) hire a student to shovel - they still do that, don't they?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

(We in Toronto are always amused

Yes, but we are several degrees warmer and have much better skiing. I am always amused when I go up the ski lift with Canadians (from as far away as Windsor) cause I had a 20 minute drive.

Reply to
Toller

"Lesley" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Don't buy it (the shovel). It won't work on Lake Effect snows.

The Bare Ground is kinda OK. But I only use it at my side gate where the stabilizer bar of the fence goes into the ground. It's too expensive to spray all over the place.

I bought mine from this site:

Pasar

Reply to
Pasar

It is designed for moving wet snow. How well it does it is yet to be seen. I really question how well it will do.

Joseph Meehan

The claim is that as you push it forward, it moves to snow to the side. I see some holes on the idea, but I have not actually seen the tools or worked with it. I think I will stick with my small, but effective little electric.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

As for the spray on stuff, I don't know if its the same stuff, but the county where I lived tried a spray on snow remover (supposedly less corrosive than salt to County equipment) instead of salt one year. it performed as advertised except in one regard. When first applied (until dried) the stuff was slicker than ice. AFter several cars went in the ditch on an otherwise snow free road, they stopped the experiment.

Jmagerl

the hard way when this "personal plow" is right here?

I don't have a feel for what 14 gauge is, and I don't know how thick these "cheap' ones are.

Don't know what floating would be.

for easy use, less stooping and straining

What's ergonomic about it? It's a handle. There are lots of things with handles that long.

Wheels might help if the sidewalk is in uneven sections, because you could raise the edge a bit and not ram the thing into the higher section. I have to remember to lift my shovel, although it's easy to remember after I hit the cement five seconds earlier.

I think you still have to wear gloves.

They wouldn't recommend it for 8 inches?. They just chose 6 because that't the maximum their target market expects. People who get more snow are more ready to buy something more expensive.

ONLINE now, and make it a cool gift, too!

Yeah limited.

Whenever an ad says "compare at" I don't like it. It doesn't mean that the items that cost 70 are no better. They may well be a lot better. It just suggests you compare them. They had to change to this terminology, because when they used to say, "As good as items thayt cost 70", they got in trouble, I'm pretty sure. FTC etc.

I think that is what they would say.

Don't know.

I'll tell you this. We used to have a 120 foot driveway. I only shoveled where the tires went. Why waste time shoveling the whole thing?

Now I live in a townhouse in Baltimore. My neighbors shovel every square inch of the spot they park in. It's wierd. I shovel a minimal path for each rear wheel, the road has always been plowed by the time I get out, and I just back out.

When I got to some place with snow, I drive back and forth about 3 feet a few times, so that I'm not stuck in a hole when the time comes to leave. I've leveled down the snow. And I carry a shovel in my trunk, in case I get lost and end up in NY. Well, sometimes it's needed here.

mm

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

(snip)

he he he If you live where it generally snows over 100 inches of snow each season, you can't do that. The person said he's in Buffalo. He gets a lot of Lake Snow and you can easily get 6 or 8 inches dumped in a day every day of the week.

The lake snow is filled with water and easly turns to ice (on the ground). If you haven't lived near the Great Lakes you won't understand how much it snows. It snows so much we have to use a roof rake,too.

That's a good idea you have for where it doesn't snow too much. Marina

(snip)

Reply to
Marina

  • Error * I had confused this one with another one of totally different design. Sorry.
Reply to
Joseph Meehan

  • Error * I confused this one with another recently introduced shovel system. Sorry.

Joseph Meehan

  • Error * I confused this one with another recently introduced shovel system. Sorry.

Joseph Meehan

I signed a contract last year with a plow guy and he was only able to plow half of my driveway. Meanwhile, my vehicle was essentially stuck in the other end--the end closest to the garage. My driveway is not only long, but it's very narrow; not only is there a house really close to mine (making it difficult even to back out of my driveway in my own vehicle) but I have steps that come down into the driveway, and the neighbor's house has some kind of exhaust pipe sticking off the side of their house. So maneuvering down the driveway can be tricky even in the middle of the day when the pavement is dry. I've called all over but can't find anyone with a six foot plow (that's the size it would have to be to fit down the gauntlet that is my driveway).

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley

Thanks, Pasar. What do you mean by "kinda OK"? Does it work only on snow? What about ice? If it works on both, I could use it on my porches, which do not have any awnings or anything over them. I have three porches, and I'm terrified that someone is going to slip and fall on any one of them during the winter because they get so slippery.

I may be expensive, but if it would work on my porch steps/landings, it would be worth it.

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley

Is that what you tell the wife?