Mounting Kitchen Cab Above Frig?

As part of my kitchen remodeling job, my frig will be relocated into a renovated shallow pantry which has been expanded to ~40" deep. Its now almost like a closet. I have ordered a 24" cab to go on top and be flush with the frig front. The width of this new space is just enough (with abit of wiggle room) for the frig to fit. There will NOT be any side panels.

Since the cab is only 24" deep, I now have about 16" of dead space above the frig and behind the cab. It occurred to me that I have nothing to hang the cab to! In this situation, do builders normally construct a small soffit behind the cab to provide hanging studs? Will a soffit be strong enough to hold it? Instead, can I attach the cab to the side walls (building "in" to take up any slack space)? Can you hang a cab from its sides??

Thanks!!!

--Jeff

Reply to
JB

JB wrote: Can you hang a cab from its sides??

I did. But it has strong sides.

Reply to
dadiOH

I was just inside a friend's new McMansion a week or so ago and they had a deep cabinet above the fridge, so they are available. If you don't want to do that you'll have to come up with some way of mounting it; framing behind it wouldn't be a horrible plan.

nate

Reply to
N8N