Missed sale, but HD store splite the difference.

I bought bulbs that said they were shorter and woudl fit more fixtures, so I can put the globe back on my basement ceiling fixture. It might have fit if I hadn't had to use an extension to be able to screw the CFL in far enough. Before I used 3 of them where shortness wasn't needed, I wanted to know if I could buy more.

So earlier last week I found them on the HD webpage; EcoSmart 100W Equivalent Soft White (2700K) Spiral CFL Light Bulb Model # ESBM8234 (4-Pack)

on line for sale for $4 !! , for four bulbs, for 2 days in a row,

But I didn't go to the store, and 2 days later they were $10.

But today I went to the store and at least at my store they were $7. Almost twice the price but still pretty cheap afaics. They split the difference btween 10 and 4.

They only get 1.5 stars**, while these, Model # 434738 get 4 stars, but the second ones are $12 each online, more than 6 times the price.

**Which I consider to be a half a star, since the minimum is one.

This is the 2 star review:

The Ecosmart bulbs might be smart but the box is the dumbest I've seen in a long time. You open the box and think you can easily take one out of the box of four but no. You have to take out all the bulbs and a two part interior cardboard structure. So okay, you go to take one bulb out of these but not so fast, you have to take the top cardboard grid off the four bulbs to access the bulbs. Now all four bulbs are screwed into another cardboard rectangle. You have to carefully hold all the bulbs and then slowly screw out a single bulb. Not that the plastic box is any better but this is a real bozo of a box.

So he's complaining about the box, but neither the 4 pack I bought a few months ago, when they must have been cheap, or today's, came in a box! And if he's smart enough to use a lightbulb, he should consider a dificult box to be a challenge, like Rubik's cube. It's the bulb that counts. What a ditz.

Here's the 1 star review:

This product is guaranteed to last 9 years. I have bought hundreds of these lamps in all sizes over the past 10 years. In the last few years I have noticed a drastic decline in the quality of the product. Apparently so has HD. I used to be able to go into my local store and exchange the defective lamps for new ones when they failed. Two years ago they stopped doing that and you have to contact the manufacturer directly. The first few times I did, the manufacturer sent me a check for the cost of the defective lamps. The last two times I filed warranty claims they were never paid. This morning I had 2 lamps out in my house. I installed them exactly one year ago to the month. That makes at least 5 failures out of almost 40 lamps in my one year old house. That's an average of 12.5% failure in the first year. I wonder how many will last the whole nine years?
9 years!. I've only been using them since they made me, and they got cheaper. How long is that. 3 years? For only $1 or 1.75, I don't expect 9 years. Do any at any price last 9 years? If I paid 6 times the price, would they?
Reply to
micky

[...]

i only buy LED bulbs these days, the light is better and the bulbs never fa il. fact is i am slowly replacing every CFL with a led bulb, and our elect ric bill is rewarding me:)

Reply to
bob haller

Same here. The CFL is now old technology. Only place to use them is the few fixture that are rarely used, like inside a closet. Everyday lights like our room lamps, bathroom, are now all LED.

Yes, my electric bill is down too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski