If it's just black mildew, bleach/water will kill it. You'll need to
wet the area, let soak briefly, and wipe down. A 1:3 mix of
bleach:water, or thereabouts.
Before you do any finishing you have to let it dry completely.
Otherwise paint won't adhere, stain won't be absorbed properly, a hard
finish [like urethane] won't adhere or look right [it may turn cloudy].
Is there some way to remove black mildew stains from oak-finished
frames? There is also a similar stain on a piece of base molding near
bathtub (cause has been repaired).
I just went to a mold remediation class. I specifically asked about
the use of bleach. The answer was that it is not used for that much
anymore. FEMA still gives it out free, but then they often get it free
too. Detergent and water works the best. Bleach won't hurt though,
unless someone in the house is sensative to it. Don't mix bleach with
amonia, it will kill you!
Wash the stains to kill the mold and remove the physical presence.
Then paint it.
Step one, eliminate the moisture. May need an exhaust fan or a better
one, or just use the one you have.
Kill the mold. Bleach does a good job, but you may want to use a
special product designed for the job to assure compatibility with the
Clean and sand the area with the problem and prepare the rest of the
room for re-painting.
Repaint with a good quality anti-fungal paint designed for bathrooms.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.