Microwave Repair - Door Switch

I have determined that the door switch on our GE Electric Profile JET342H microwave oven is failing. The failure is evidenced by the microwave starting and stopping if you jiggle the latch button ever so slightly. Is is possible for me to replace this switch without risk of electric shock (capacitor in oven)? And, is the switch in such a location where diassembly is fairly involved and beyond the scope of someone with good mechanical skills?

The oven was built in 1992, and I'd rather not replace as it is built in to a wood cabinet and matches the oven.

Thank you.

- Phil

Reply to
PSMSR

Here ya go-

. Google is your friend.

As to the repair work itself- usually not a big deal, as long as you stay out of the power supply and away from the magnetron and such. I have brought several trashpicked micros back to life by just field-stripping them and cleaning them. The safety switches are often just full of gunk, and sometimes they are designed to be reversible, so you can roll them over to a fresh set of wear points. If you can't find the part, I'd definitely give it try before I trashed it. Yes, anything with caps, best to let them sit unplugged for a day or so to drain down, just in case.

Standard disclaimer- I am not a certified repair tech or a lawyer. Pay attention to my opinions solely at your own risk.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

There are frequently more than one microswitch involved with the door mechanism. Take the cover off and try jigglying each switch while the unit is heating some water as a dummy load, and see which one is the faulty unit. You may be able to loosen the mounting screws and move the offending switch slightly to get things to work again, otherwise, the switches are only a few bucks.

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann