microwave on switched outlet?

I would like to move my microwave from the kitchen countertop into a spacious cabinet to free up the counter. There is currently a 14ga wire running to that cabinet from a wall switch (prior owner intended to install accent lighting in glass-fronted portion of cabinet. Is it safe to run a microwave on a circuit/outlet controlled by a wall switch? How do I tell if the switch is 'rated' for a certain power draw? I would obviously install a GFI outlet.

Thanks, Teo

Reply to
mkeary

Switches have ratings stamped on them. Take it out and look. After you look, put the switch on the kitchen table, and join the wires in the outlet together so they're not switched any more. Go buy a nice blank plate to cover the box. Have a beer.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I have my microwave on a wall switch. I turn it off when it is not in use and this saves electricity. I also have a power strip for my TV/Stereo and I also turn this off when not in use which saves electricity.

So far as rating, 14 ga. wire is for a 15 amp circuit. Get a 15amp switch. Should say 15 amp or 15 A on the switch. (I have 12 ga. wire, a 20 amp outlet, and I use a 20 amp rated switch.)

Also check local electrical codes. I don't know if they would require a separate 20 amp outlet for a microwave or whatever. If you are having your work inspected, run it by your local electrical inspector before doing any work. Could save you time and money...

Reply to
Bill

According to :

Walls switches are rated for 15A. That's more than adequate for a microwave. Microwaves aren't motors, so you don't need to get motor-rated switches.

It'll be an annoyance to lose all the settings on the microwave whenever anybody hits the switch. Remove it and jumper the wires, covering the hole with a blank plate if you're worried.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Like everything else, there's some tradeoff. How much work does it take to restore settings when you want to use the device again?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Surely not for those tiny ones, but they may have maximum wattage for

15 amps.

If you are having your

Reply to
mm