metric carpenter's tape

Not sure if we should blame the engineers. A lot of those mongrel combinations are Asian, mostly Chinese in my collection. I think they feed their screw machines with metric hex stock, so the bolt heads are never 5/8", for example, but 19 mm would be just fine with a 3/4" socket. Worse yet, years ago, was working with British Whitworth. Hardly anything was a standard measurement. Old timers that dealt with MG TC's and TD's will remember the frustrations.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

No, first time I ran across it, it was definitely an engineer. A '71 Ford Pinto, with the metric German engine. But they stuck the low-buck US alternator on it, 'cuz that was what their supply chain and assembly line was set up for. The engine itself had metric bolt heads, but the accessories and the rest of the car had English bolts, or at least bolt heads. I guess they didn't dress the engines in Germany, or it couldn't come up through the fender wells with the accessories on or something. Natch, I rounded off one bolt head, so I grabbed another out of the junk box, and WTF? It would not thread into the hole on the front of the engine. Then I started looking closer and cussing. It was a long time ago, but I think a trip to the auto parts store was involved, and I know one bolt head ended up a different size. Next poor SOB that worked on that POS probably cussed too.

Good thing my brother was into VWs- back in that era, lots of DIYs didn't have metric in their tool box.

Reply to
aemeijers

It's still sold in 4'x8' sheets, and 1/2 and 3/4 sheet goods are still available.

44x88 doesn't come out to 1-1/2 x 3-1/2, just by inspection (the ratios are 1:2 and 3:7).

Ceramic tile is a whole 'nother kettle. No one counts on the size of ceramic tile. No two lots are the same.

Reply to
krw

You cut all three dimensions?

Don't know about you, but I generally pee in a toilet and it's marked 1.6 gallons. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Exactly. One can always convert but it throws another source of error into the mess.

He was incompetent and impatient. That's not unusual for a DIY'er. BTDT.

He ain't that bright either.

Why remember mixed numbers? Work in the precision you need. If 1/8" is good enough, measure everything in 1/8" increments. Remember the numerator. It's the same as remembering your 1/10s.

You're forcing the pain on yourself.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

It's pretty tough (as in akin to putting the toothpaste back into the tube) to find anything that is actually full half or quarter, tho--it's generally a 32-nd under if not metric.

--

Reply to
dpb

I don't know, but I'd buy one. So long as you cut pieces at the proper distance, you can measure it in cubits. I found the metric system easier to use and read, particularly when doing layouts on ornamental metal. Use a simple decimal calculator instead of a conversion one you buy at the Borg that's a lot more complicated. Using a base 10 measure and a base 10 calculator. Simple.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

How about the first example, where my neighbor had to measure for plastic panels to cover his underpinning.

Suppose he measures 28-5/8" at one end. From 28", he has to scan past

20 marks of varying lengths to pick out the 5/8" mark. To avoid mixed numbers, he's going to have to get his calculator and convert that to 229 eighths. Then he adds 3 for the underlap to make 232. Now, to see what that will be on his tape when he marks the plastic, he needs to use a calculator to convert 232 eights to 29". What luck! No fraction to read on the tape this time!

With a metric tape, it's 727, 2mm past the 725. He adds 15 for the underlap and marks 742 on the plastic. He doesn't have to worry about compromising precision if he reads in mm.

Reply to
J Burns

It can be found, particularly in "cabinet grade". I think the point earlier was that 1/32 under was really an even metric size.

Reply to
krw
[snip]

That's a lot of pee ;-)