meter main

Hi:

Building new house and my electrician wants to put in a meter main. Problem is we can't find one bigger than 200A (square D model cqrb200). Does anyone make a 400A?

thanks, russ snipped-for-privacy@tva.gov

Reply to
Russell W. Patterson

Russell W. Patterson wrote: : Hi:

: Building new house and my electrician wants to put in a meter main. : Problem is we can't find one bigger than 200A (square D model : cqrb200). Does anyone make a 400A?

: thanks, : russ : snipped-for-privacy@tva.gov

Why not use 2 200A panels?

Reply to
kmy

What is generally done in this case anymore is dual mains are run from the utility secondary and "current transformer" metering equipment installed, the mains then feeding into a pair of 200 Amp panels......

IMO, you are putting the horse behind the wagon......suggest contact your utility or local permitting authority for more information on "CT" service if your electrician is not familiar with it, as requirements do vary considerably in different areas.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

I would be afraid, very very afraid.

400, 600, 800 are all available in single and 3 phase from every major manufacture. Also available in indoor and outdoor ratings. Do you have a HD CONTRACTORS store near by? The one near me has CH services sitting on the floor, ~3K for a 600 amp.

Before you buy anything you had better check with your utility serving the property. They will have requirements that must be met.

Phoenix has a company called Sun Valley Electric that builds fusible 400,

600, and 800 services. Usually you can pick one up the next day. The main panel has 2 200 amp fuse holders. These are widely accepted here.
Reply to
SQLit

The Square D model # CU12L400N is rated for an underground service and has a list price of $2309.00. The actual price will vary by distributor. I'm not sure what other manufacturers have in their catalogs, but check with several electrical supply houses.

John Grabowski

John Grabowski

Square D makes a 400 amp meter mains assembly in underground supply configuration.

A more cost effective solution would be to install a four hundred ampere meter assembly that is fitted with double barreled lugs to supply two sets of two hundred ampere service entrance conductors to supply two 200 ampere main breaker panels. The only caution is that since the load is split into two separate sets of conductors some AHJs will insist that each set be rated for 200 amperes in accordance with the regular ampacity tables rather than the table that applies only to main feeders for single phase dwelling services.

-- Tom H

Reply to
HorneTD