Meter Location (was Residential Electricity)

OP: "thank you for your comment".

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

The "Thanks for your time and comment."

Thanking someone in that manner implies that you are asking for a response.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ok, here's mine: "that sure is an ugly meter out front. Someone should pass a law making it illegal, it is so disgusting to all who have to view such a thing. The local ordinance people must not be doing their job. Perhaps the 'bama should write another executive order banning such an embarrasment to society. It should be hidden under hillarities skirt along with her dismal record." You're welcome.. ;>)}

Reply to
Phil Kangas

If these ran "through" the building in common areas, you need a disconnect by the meter. If they run under the building, they can still be service conductors, hot from the meter. It gets more troubling if they are actually running through another owners unit. No builders is going to spend the extra money to deal with voltage drop. The loophole in 310.15(B)(6) provides more voltage drop than some people want, even with short service conductors. Condos and townhouses may be the worst since a lot of them will go with the minimum 100a panel and that can be fed with 4 gauge copper.

Reply to
gfretwell

bob haller posted for all of us...

For OP it's local custom-as you state.

Wrong Bobby, it's for the convenience of the POCO. The FD WILL find the meter if they need too.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Simple solution: Have some Amish people move into those houses. The electric meters will be gone quickly!

Reply to
Paintedcow

---------------------------

likewise with a grow operation.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Around here most "row housing" has all the meters on one end wall, where they are relatively unobtrusive.

Reply to
clare

Not practical when you have a city block of 25 houses in a row. Philadelphia had thousands of houses like that. most with meters in the back though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In the townhouses I live in, the meters are in front, but there's a 5' closed wooden wall around a tiny patio that keeps people in front of the house from seeing the meter, the front sliding glass door, the grill, the bicycle, the scooter, the lawnmower, the garbage cans, and the other junk stored there. The meter is really the least of it.

The electric power goes along the front of the houses and it would have been awfully hard to have put the meters in the back. And I'm glad the water, electricity, phone, and sewer** are in the front. In this case I don't want workmen in back. It's bad enough the cable is back there.

**all underground
Reply to
Micky

trader_4 posted for all of us...

Still has meter. If no life safety involved then we'll wait for the POCO which is usually 20-30 min depending on outside factors. All responders go through POCO supplied training-gas & electric. It all depends on circumstances, actually power in a SFD is not a problem.

We have hotsticks and use them in commercial fires, training by POCO.

that is why people don't volunteer any more. A lot of training involved, it's not just put the wet stuff on the red stuff. Most shocks are in major cities because the poverty stricken drug users use boot leg hookups.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Or more likely the illegal grow-ops who make millions selling their poison and steeling the electricity to do it.

Reply to
clare