Metal roof shingles

Hi, The one shaped like roof tiles. Epoxy granules on metal sheets. Are they any good? Any one has it on his roof? Comment? TIA,

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I designed an addition for a builder buddy, and he was all fired up about the metal shingles. His look similar to regular shingles - kinda sorta - not roof tile (assuming you meant the curved roof tile). He likes the stuff, but I'm not crazy about the look. You tend to see the outlines of each large tile/piece more than you would on other types of roofing. Then again, that's the only example I've seen up close.

RicodJour

A neighbour of mine has the metal shingles that look like asphalt type of shingles and they look real good. He couldn't be happier with them.

Reply to
Worn Out Retread

Logic is the epoxy granules wont last, its glued on, the roof will.

Reply to
ransley

I've seen the ones that look like wooden shakes - sort of. Kinda cluky looking but they should outlast fiberglass singles. At least that's what I tend to think. But when I looked into standing seamed metal roofing I was disappointed to find that the color is only rated for 20 years. Having to repaint that much roof area would offset any postential savings that the life of the steel would give. I haven't crunced any numbers and I'm not quite sure how I would do that, what with projecting the price of an appropriate paint twenty years out. A lot of help, aren't I -ugh!

Reply to
C & E

Sort of an aside. Some insurance companies will give a discount on your home owners insurance if you install impact resistant shingles. The State Farm web site has a list of the shingles they will give the discount for. The list is a huge long list. One page is for asphalt shingles. There are pages and pages of metal shingles. So metal shingles are expected to last a long time. There is one rider on that. To get the discount for metal shingles you have to sign a statement that you don't get insurance coverage for cosmetic damage (dents).

The discount is only good in certain states. I assume the ones where hail damage is common. I live in Oklahoma, and hail damage is certainly common here.

Bill Gill

Reply to
BillGill