Metal Boxes / EMT on Basement Wall - when is it OK?

Greetings,

The NEC states that you cannot put metalic boxes onto masonry which may be damp without a 1/4" airspace. Does this mean that you cannot use metal boxes / emt on masonry basement walls? What about metal boxes / emt on masonry basement walls of a row home between the homes?

Thank you for your time and energy, William

PS: This post was previously listed under NEC Clarification Needed which I feel was a poor choice as it did not provide enough information. Since there have not yet been any responses I am reposting it under a different, much improved, heading.

Reply to
William Deans

My understanding is that you cannot attach boxes directly to masonry, period. But I'm sure someone will come along and provide more and better detail.

Reply to
Hopkins

Bill-

Sounds to me like you answered your own question.

The NEC is concerned about corrosion of the metallic box; hence the requirement for the 1/4" airspace. so as not to trap any moisture behind the box,

I'm sure you've seen the surface mounted box in somebody's damp nasty basement that is all rusted out.

Install with the airpace & the box will be fine. Don't use wood or any material that will retain mositure; metal washers would work.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Thanks bob -- however, someone on here said that the 1/4" airspace requirement didn't apply to device boxes? Is this true of false?

Reply to
William Deans

I found a Web site some time ago that recommended against using wood between a panel and a concrete wall and said that some jurisdictions even prohibit it. I don't recall whether it said this was because the wood could become a fire hazard or because it could get waterlogged.

The new panel I bought but haven't yet installed has raised sections on the back where the bolts/screws/fasteners go, so that very little of the box would be in contact with the wall to which it is mounted. Does this mean that I could fasten it directly to the concrete basement wall -- and run pieces of wood alongside (but spaced away from the sides of the panel) to which the Romex can be stapled?

Perce

On 05/01/05 01:18 pm BobK207 tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I don't know for sure about whether the 1/4" space applies to device boxes. Just based on experience, if there is moisture / dampness that can be trapped behind the box you'll enetually have a corrosion problem.

If moisture / dampness is a potential problem, stay away from materials that can absorp it & help corrode the metal.

Metal & wood will last a very long if kept dry. If not, they can be destroyed VERY quickly.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207