mcculloch electric chainsaw leaks

I am amazed what this thread has revealed about chainsaws. Chainsaw buckets hanging from a rafter are my likely choice.

Apeman

Reply to
Ape

I made a mistake in my post. It was 40-50 bush cords a year, not overall. Must have used that saw 5 or 6 years.

I was always accurate about the gas mixture. was either 40-1 or 32-1, can't remember but If i ever adjusted that carb once I have forgotten. Prolly adjusted the idle all of 5 times.

But really careless about bar oil.

Reply to
Hench

Ape wrote the following on 1/5/2013 7:06 PM (ET):

If your saw has a hole in the far end of the bar, bang a nail in the wall and hang the saw on it so the oil stays in the reservoir.

Reply to
willshak

A Silverback, eh? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

If i does, I will do it - shud work

Apeman

Reply to
Ape

I have two chainsaws, a small one for light trimming and a bigger one for real work. Both drip if I hang them chain down, by the handles. But both have holes in the far end of the bar, and I just hang them from the bar with the resevoir end down and everything is fine as long as the cap on the filler is tight.

Reply to
hrhofmann

My Mcculloch and Poulan are both hanging like that - they both have hole near the bar end. They have been like that all day now. So far no oil, and both oil tanks are near full.

I studied the way the Mcculloch tank was designed, and it seems to me that the oil feed to lubricate the chain is meant to function exactly like it would if it simply leaked. The only tank outlet is a small pin hole that lays next to and almost onto the chain bar, and the oil simply leaks out of there onto the bar. And it would do that as long as there was any oil in the tank near the hole, whether the chainsaw was running or not. Cheap way to do it! I wonder if all chainsaws are lubricated that way. This is all a surprise to me.

Apeman

Reply to
Ape

Thanks for the advise, I'll try 30 weight oil and hang w/ chain down.

Reply to
lamast

Hanging it chain down will cause the oil to leak out, you should hang it chain up.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Regular engine oil IS bio-degradable; bacteria that live in the soil just love it.

But many environmentalists don't want people to know that because it would ruin their credibility. Other environmentalists simply don't know about it, or if they've been told, they choose not to believe it.

Do a Google search for "Cold Seeps" to learn more about naturally-occurring bacteria that thrive on crude oil.

Reply to
mike.walsh.1955