Two chainsaw questions

One - storing Sometime fairly early in my chainsaw ownership I discovered that the only way to stop them smelling of petrol when not in use is to shelve them with the petrol filler upwards. The downside of this is that the oil leaks out so they have to be on a tray. Apart from emptying them of petrol each time, and I'm tempted to say that I know this is the ideal but who does it as I've never found any specific problem with started one that has sat around for a while, what is the best position to store them

Two - sharpening If a blade wanders off to the right when cutting, on which side have the teeth been incorrectly sharpened - am I correct in thinking it will be those on the righthand side of the blade?

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

One - storing Sometime fairly early in my chainsaw ownership I discovered that the only way to stop them smelling of petrol when not in use is to shelve them with the petrol filler upwards. The downside of this is that the oil leaks out so they have to be on a tray. Apart from emptying them of petrol each time, and I'm tempted to say that I know this is the ideal but who does it as I've never found any specific problem with started one that has sat around for a while, what is the best position to store them

Two - sharpening If a blade wanders off to the right when cutting, on which side have the teeth been incorrectly sharpened - am I correct in thinking it will be those on the righthand side of the blade?

Thanks Rob

Empty the saw if left for longer periods or usually petrol evaporates off the settled oil in the mix and leaves residue at bottom of the tank and or the carb'. Flush through with a small amount of straight petrol and allow to dry/clear. Leave tank filler cap slightly loose.

If you've used a new blade and it's veering in any direction I would suspect the bar has worn unevenly. Ether the rails are lower one side to the other or the channel is worn too wide to guide the chain correctly

Reply to
Londonman

Our daughter seems to have the knack of sharpening chainsaws nicely.

When she was working for an Arb Co for about 6 months she slowly broke the parental relationship some guys seem to have with their saws (re sharpening etc) and was even requested to do the sharpening by many if she was available. For most it was that first 'proof of the pudding' when they used it after she had just sharpened it. ;-)

She didn't use any fancy stuff either, just the right size round file and the sort of attention to detail someone 'creative' can apply to such tasks.

None of this is any help to you of course, unless you happen to live near Norf Lundin. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m