Marvel Lubricating Oil

Actually, no one except research chemists know what ANY oil is, ergo the field day that these companies have in making all their outrageous claims. Ergo the fact that the largely useless WD40 dominates the market, altho their under-handed marketing certainly helps.

There is stupid, and then there is so stupid you don't even know you are stupid. You are the latter.

No? And your claim that MM oil was ATF was, what, based on your own chemical research?

See the above on stupidness

Your mother clearly never slapped you enough.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Yup. And while you're at it, support THAT claim, as well. Of couse, you can't say why mixing oils is bad, and you won't be able to support your insult. Keep flailing.

Reply to
Existential Angst

It is not suitable for lubricating the bearings on an electric motor of that size, or that use.

For openers, the flash point is only 128 degrees F.

That's right, dimwit. It's quite FLAMMABLE.

Reply to
salty

Marvel Mystery Oil is about SAE 3W, which is quite a bit thinner than the SAE 20w called for in this application.

It is also quite flammable at relatively low temps. Probably not too smart to use on a heavy duty motor, especially one attached to a furnace. Of course, "not too smart" is a specialty of yours, so maybe you should try it.

It's about 20% solvents. I'll bet that really leads to long bearing life!

Once again, for anybody reading this... Existential Angst is either a complete moron, or he deliberately posts incorrect and sometime dangerous advice. Either way, you really don't want to do anything he suggests without first asking someone with a little knowledge and a lot less hostility.

Reply to
salty

And what part of "mix" didn't you understand?

AND, you are an ignerint liar.

First, flash point has little to do with flammability of the liquid. Look it up. You can have a very low flash point, and a very high ignition temp.

Second, MM oil is BARELY flammable, and won't sustain its own forced combustion -- AT ALL. How do I know? Cuz I just put some in the blue flame of my stove. Hot enough for you?

Third, even if MM oil DID have a meaningful flashpoint, the quantities are so small as to be insignficant, in an electric motor. Fourth, did I mention MIX a little MM oil with other oils? Oh yeah, I did, but you didn't understand that...

Fifth, go get a part-time job, help out yer mom a little.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Still don't understand "mix", eh?

See my other post. You are dead wrong.

Probably not too

Heh, the mix thing again...

Well, I have enough knowledge to put some MM oil in a blue flame and observe that it does not burn. And I know the diff between flash point and ignition point.

Funny how you speak with so much authority, and are wrong in almost all of your assertions. Once in a while you luck out, but clearly it is luck.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Here, take a look at the rather prominent warning on the front of the can:

DANGER - COMBUSTIBLE

Reply to
salty

And let's see.....

You claimed MM oil was like ATF, right?

ATF has a cSt of about 40 (at 40 deg C), which makes it like, what, a 50 wt oil?

Yet you just issued another one of your edicts, that MM oil is a *3 wt oil*.....

Would you like to get your assertions straight?

Reply to
Existential Angst

You may as well thin the oil with gasoline. You'll have similar results.

How inconvenient for you:

Once again - the flash point (now that you know what it means) for Marvel Mystery Oil is 128 degrees F.

The product is labled "DANGER - COMBUSTIBLE" in LARGE TYPE on the front of the can, and the MSDS also confirms that it is considered flammable.

Reply to
salty

STILL not understanding "mix"??? STill not understanding, "I put MM oil in a blue stove flame and it didn't burn"???? Still don't understand the CYA nature of labeling? goddamm vegetable oil is combustible....

AND, according to the MSDS, if you mix combustibles with non-combustibles (like motor oil) with certain proportions, the mixture is no longer combustible -- ESP if chemical interactions have occured.

Also, you said "flammable", which is distinctly different than "combustible".

Well, at least you made it clear how you go about gathering information -- from goddamm pictures of old cans on Flickr.... That sounds about right for you.

Reply to
Existential Angst

You are a chemist, now? Gasoline is short/medium-chain hydrocarbons. MM oil is...... ??

And???

How do you know it is 128 F??

Except you were saying it would burn up in an electric motor. I put it in a blue flame, and it did not burn. Are you still not understanding this?

Combustibility has to do with a flammable vapor, not the liquid itself. The whole concept is essentially irrelevant in the context of a bronze bearing in an electric motor, yet you keep harping on it.

If the context were 55 gal open drums in a warehouse where welding was going on, then yeah, there is a cause for concern, but this is a totally different context. Absolutely no appreciable vapor of MM oil, by itself and certainly if mixed with 30 or 40 wt oil, could *possibly* accumulate in an electric motor, esp. with air currents inherent around 99.999% of motors, ESP a blower. From what, mebbe 1 cc of MM oil???

Which makes you are a straw-clutching idiot. Just like in those horsepower threads, which you are apparently still smarting from.

and the MSDS also confirms that it is considered

Wrong again.

For a material to be classed as flammable, the flash point needs to be below

100 F. Which is proly why the MM oil label did not say "flammable".

Show us how the MSDS considers MM oil to be flammable.

How long are you going to persist in this? You do have tenacity, I must say. Which is often associated with stupidity.

Reply to
Existential Angst

read it and weep:

FLAMMABLE!

Reply to
salty

Read

The fact that MSDS classified MM oil as flammable just goes to show that good help is hard to find, as they violated their own definition of "flammable". An example of one moron bolstering another moron. Heh, mebbe YOU could get a job with the MSDS......

Which is all moot anyway, since MM doesn't burn in a blue flame, a fact which you have yet to acknowledge -- as well as the mixture thing, as well as your ATF claim, and almost everything else you've tried to come up with.

The ONLY thing you were right about was your first guess, that MM by itself is proly not suitable for bearings, and that was a lucky guess, given your prediliction for error after error, and an inability to gauge context.

Clutching at meaningless details, btw, is another hallmark of stupidity.

Remember your initial assertion: That MM was bad, because it was dangerous near a motor. Clearly that assertion is false.

Reply to
Existential Angst

I think onlookers will have figured out by now who gave good advice and who did not.

See ya!

Reply to
salty

No. I'd use either some 3 in 1 brand 20 weight motor oil or some "zoomspout" turbine oil.

Reply to
Tony

I haven't damaged any in 50 years.

Reply to
LSMFT

I had not read all the replies so my thoughts are what I always use on motors. Turbine Oil. That is what the utility company I worked for used. I leaves NO residue as it is used. WalMart did have in a pull spout container. I also use on shop router bearings. WW

Reply to
WW