Making your phone ring

To comment on my own post: the sentence above sounds supercilious on reading it now, but I was also emailing the previous post to segeral friends to tell them about the phone number etc. and felt obliged to give context to them. I think I got mixed up and thought I was only emailing and not posting. I didn't intend any insult, by my faint praise, and I apologize if it sounded patronizing.

Reply to
mm

I still look at the cookie before I accept it.

My spam dropped to virtually zero when I stopped taking cookies, in spite of the fact that I use my actual ID everywhere.

Reply to
gfretwell

Up until recently I could get my phone to ring by dialing it but now, (since Embarq?) it just gives a busy signal

Reply to
gfretwell

I did that for awhile, then got tired of doing it as many as 20 times for each page.

I'm also getting almost no spam.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

In article , ...

Please say more about this $10/mo and 35cents a minute.

Sounds interesting to me -- only very rarely would a cell-phone be useful for me (work at home), but the usual $70/mo for something I'd never use seems pretty insane to me.

Thanks,

David

Reply to
David Combs

I sure hope not!

The audio seems *vastly* better with land-line than via cell-phone.

Especially when listening to call-ins or interviews on a radio station -- signal varies second by second and, I suppose, on where the caller or interviewee is standing, which way he/she is facing, etc.

And high-freq sounds seem clipped off, too.

David

Reply to
David Combs

Suddenly mine comes back to me from WAY long ago.

In San Antonio, back in the 50's, it was "1191".

David

Reply to
David Combs

If Sprint has coverage in your area, I'd recommend a prepaid Virgin Mobile over a Jitterbug. It works out to about 8 bucks a month for me. You can buy cards to keep it topped up, or set it to top up from a credit card automatically every 60 days or when it dips below 20 bucks, whichever comes first. That was the plan 4 years ago when I signed up- I hear they have others now, but never bothered to look into them. But I've been happy with the service, reliability, and seldom run into dead spots. I have heard plenty of horror stories about Jitterbug.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

aemeijers wrote in news:HWwQj.129018$D snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Another option is Page Plus. They use the Verizon network. The minimum charge is $10 every 4 months, which gives you 80 minutes. Calls are 14 cents/min and minutes will rollover when you recharge. I have had them for 2-3 years now and am very satisfied with them.

Dee

Reply to
Dee

Which around here is a good thing.

I see here it is down to $0.12/minute:

Do you have to remember every 4 months to add minutes? Or can you set up something that automatically adds $10 every 120 days?

(I see the cheapest phone to purchase is $30.)

Don (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Don Wiss wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes. I misremembered. Can you tell I have the phone but don't use it very much? :-)

Yes, you have to remember, but you can take care of it with a phone call to them.

Dee

Reply to
Dee