mail tracking

I bought a computer off ebay and it is being sent by the US mail. Look at the tracking and try to explain this tracking. Especially how it could get from North Carolina back to Texas in about an hour and a half.

It is suppose to be delivered to a town about 40 miles to the north of Charlotte NC. Made it to Charlotte but was shipped back to Texas.

Moving Through Network Departed USPS Regional Facility DALLAS TX LOGISTICS CENTER October 9, 2023, 6:55 am Arrived at USPS Regional Facility DALLAS TX LOGISTICS CENTER October 9, 2023, 4:34 am

Departed USPS Regional Facility COPPELL TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER October 9, 2023, 4:04 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility COPPELL TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER October 8, 2023, 6:40 pm

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility MID CAROLINA-CHARLOTTE NC DISTRIBUTION CENTER October 8, 2023, 5:12 pm

Departed USPS Facility ATLANTA, GA 30336 October 8, 2023, 11:16 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility DALLAS TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER October 8, 2023, 9:08 am

Arrived at USPS Facility ATLANTA, GA 30336 October 8, 2023, 8:06 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility DALLAS TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER October 7, 2023, 11:58 pm

Departed USPS Regional Facility OMAHA NE DISTRIBUTION CENTER October 7, 2023, 8:52 am

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Sometimes their tracking is screwed up. My best guess would be that it's really in NC, that the time stamp on that entry is wrong for some reason, that it's proceeding as normal.

Reply to
trader_4

I have seen the tracking do similar things in the past. I am fairly sure the actual package is going a normal route and not the mess they are reporting.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Keep an eye out for it, don't let a porch pirate get it when it arrives. No mail today, maybe it will be there tomorrow. I have USPS informed delivery set up, so I can see what's coming each day. Also I get text alerts with tracking of things I buy, showing progress without having to do anything on any particular one.

Reply to
trader_4

I also track packages from all the services that offer it. I am retired so try to be around when items are delivered. Not that I was trying but an Amazon package was delivered yesterday while I was outside so he just handed it to me out of his window. I live in the country and the house is around 100 feet off the highway and if on the actual porch can not be seen from the road. If dropped off at the end of the driveway where the garage is it can be seen unless they hide it behind the garbage can. I keep the garage door closed because birds like to get in there and build nests and crap on the cars.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The tracking info is scanned from the package. The reason for the big scenic ride is because big courier companies have distribution centers. The package will go to the distribution center first and then the real journey will start from there. That's why sometimes you see the package going the opposite direction in the beginning.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I wouldn't count on it.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I am retired too and home most of the time but live up the hill on a cul-de-sac street on a street off a back road with that is the only entrance to our small development so things are pretty safe.

Found FedEx and USPS are sloppiest with deliveries. I have walked out the front door and stepped on packages left there. FedEx is hap-hazardous dropping packages in the driveway and I even ran over one.

Tracking can be frustrating seeing a package sit somewhere for several days.

I do not have Amazon Prime but find Amazon shipping best and they even send email and picture of package where delivered. Even though an item that has free extended shipping from Amazon it may show up the next day when a Prime truck comes in for a neighbor.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I do not have Amazon Prime either. A few years ago the free shipping usually took them a week to leave the warehouse and about a week to deliver. Now most of the time it is less than a week.

The pictures are nice. A friend lives on Smith Circle. The road leading up to it is Smith road. Many times the package is delivered to Smith Road as it is the first off the main highway. With tracking and a picture he can look to see if it is his house or a house on Smith road.

Todays deliveries sure beat the way it was when I was about 13 or 14 (mid 1960's) Send a letter with an order that may take a week or two ( I often used air mail at that time) then a couple of weeks to receive the package. About 3 to 4 weeks total time. Now internet ordering shipping usually the next day and less than a week total delivery time.

Not sure when UPS stopped requiring a signature and just dropped things off.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I think they're out of business but Airborne holds my record for incompetence. Back when laptop RAM was pricey they left a small box worth about $500 on the neighbor's woodpile. I'd already contacted the RAM vendors when one of the kids spotted it and brought it over.

Reply to
rbowman

I think it's something the vendor requests. I've had a couple of things I had to pick up at the UPS warehouse. The USPS is the same.

Reply to
rbowman

In 1983, I think it depended on where you lived. They didn't require it for me. Maybe a few packages were stolen or maybe they were just being 'proactive' but they added the signature requirement for a lot of things.

So I put in my address: Micky Spillane **NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED** Please hide from view to right. 22 Mask of the Red Death Road Baltimore...

No one has asked for a signature since, and nothing has been stolen.

They don't all hide it to the right, but since the tree fell down tha tmade it harder to cross the stream, the JHS and HS students don't walk in front of my house and people in cars and on the sidewalk can't see my front door.

The mailman once thanked me for NO SIGNATURE.

Reply to
micky

On Monday, October 9, 2023 at 1:22:33 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote: elivery time.

I just got a new computer. I had to sign for it on one of those electronic gizmos. Reading even one letter of my signature would've been a challenge for expert cryptographers. The delivery driver was satisfied so who am I to argue.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

That could acount for some but not all of these incidents.

Most recently, something from far away made it to Baltimore, but then the tracking showed it in Frederick an hour to the west, and back the next day. Frederick is no hub and even if it were it was in Baltimore already. It woudl be easy to go there and back in 24 hours, but the OP makes feel a little better, that it was only the tracking that said so.

Another time, it was coming from California and it made it to the dist center in NE DC or just outside DC, and then to Baltimore where it spent a day or two, then back to the same place in DC. That never did show up and 6 months later it went back to California and I got a refund from the vendor. That's the only delivery I know was a failure.

Oh, I think there was one that got close and went to NCarolina and came back.

Reply to
micky

The tracking barcode is on the package. When the parcel was changed from one truck to another truck, some worker screw up and threw it into the wrong truck.

There is no such thing. The barcode is on the package. Human error put the package in the wrong truck.

Disgruntled employee deliberately put packages into wrong truck.

Somebody stole the package somewhere along the way.

I am an expert in buying things from Amazon, eBay, and AliExpress. During the two years of COVID pandemic, I received mail order parcels from the US, Canada, the UK, and China almost every single day. I only slowed down in spending money on e-commerce lately, only because I have already bought almost every gadget I wanted to own.

There is one interesting thing about UPS and FedEx. Everything I ordered from China and the UK shipped via UPS and FedEx would be flown to the respective UPS and FedEx distribution centers in the US first, and then trucked to Canada where I live. UPS and FedEx never flew my parcels directly to Canada from overseas. I believe parcels destined to Mexico from overseas via UPS and FedEx would be flown to the US first too.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

That's what I'm saying... In addtion to properly going first to the distribution center, sometimes it simply goes to the wrong place.

I think it went to Frederick too. But Trader's theory still makes me feel a little better. As I said, it's easy to get to Frederick and back in one day but getting from North Carolina to Texas in about an hour and a half is muccch more unlikely. It's over 1000 miles and takes

2 hours 20 minutes from airport to airport, and more time to get to the Dist. Center.

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility COPPELL TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER October 8, 2023, 6:40 pm

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility MID CAROLINA-CHARLOTTE NC DISTRIBUTION CENTER October 8, 2023, 5:12 pm

Could be.

No. It sat on a shelf near DC and was returned to California eventually.

Could be.

Reply to
micky

If the package left charlotte at 5:12EDT, that is 4:12CDT in Texas. So the package was in transit for just under two and a half hours when it arrived in texas at 6:40CDT.

There's likely verbiage on the tracking website that notes that the time stamps are relative to the time zone in which they are generated.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I just want them to ring the doorbell so I know to look. Almost nobody d does that anymore.

Reply to
Bob F

Ralph tricked me. I want my money back.

Reply to