Made in the USA: MagLite

Forgot to add - in the Mag's defense, it is a much more quality-made product. the TF's barrel is slightly too big, so batteries rattle unless you make a little cardboard shim, and waterproofing it requires some creativity and rubber on the (end cap) switch and silicone grease on the O-rings. The Mag is obviously more precisely made, and is waterproof out of the box. Neither the batteries nor the switch rattle annoyingly.

However, if I have a job to do, I grab the TF. It's just more convenient, and works better for the intended purpose of illuminating a dark area. (I like 'em so much, esp. in the bang for the buck department, that I have one in the glovebox of each of my cars, and another for use as an occasional bicycle headlight. Yes, it's that bright - comparable to the 'spensive German dynohub headlight on my touring bike in brightness, although the beam pattern isn't as optimal. However, if it's going to be pitch black and I still want to ride, both used together are quite awesome. Couldn't use a Mag for that purpose - the beam pattern is awful, it's not as bright, and it weighs a freakin' ton.)

If only Mag would copy the TF's LED and introduce a new light in between the 2D and 2AA models, say, about the size of the TF, and then machine in some flats so it wouldn't roll, they'd be right back on top of the consumer-market flashlight heap again.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I've had the same experiences with Mag products... and also have a Streamlight that I've been very pleased with.

However, more and more I find myself reaching for this 'no name' headlight I picked up at the local hardware store a couple of years ago. It was $12 if memory serves me right.

It's great, nice wide comfortable straps that are easily removable for washing (I put them one of those mesh 'lingerie Bag' and just toss them in the washing machine).

It's plastic, but nice, heavy and well engineered, nothing flimsy or delicate. It has a joint allowing vertical adjustment, and it's push button switch is located behind a heavy rubber membrane. It's been used in heavy rain and dumped in dirt, dropped, sat on and all that with no signs of anything intruding or damage.

It uses 2 AA batteries, eliminating that extra battery always left over by 3 cell lights. (I hate products that use odd numbers of batteries...) It has 12 LED's arranged to give a nice even flood, with no 'hot spots' or dim areas, and is bright enough for my 57 year old eyes to focus on fine detail. Battery life has been excellent... I think I'm on the third set now, and it's seen near daily use.

After I'd used it a while, I decided to grab all I could find and stock them away... but sadly the store said they were a one shot deal for them, and they had no idea where to get more... and said others had been inquiring as well. Been looking for more everywhere ever since, but so far no luck.

Mag would do well to produce such a product...

Erik

Reply to
Erik

I bought the kit I had years ago and it contained the rubber cover, different color lenses and the pouch. I don't know if it's still an item that's sold now because I haven't paid attention to it. I own several Mini Mags that I started buying 25 years ago. I currently carry an LED 2 AA version on my belt at all times because I can't see that well anymore and the extra light really helps.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Within their class, they are the preferred unit for belt lights by sailors on ships. They are light weight, throw alot of light for their size, last longer than most other types with a brighter beam (so you don't suddenly go dead and get stranded in the dark, you get plenty of warning as it gets dimmer), waterproof which is critical when standing topside out in the rain. They also come normally with at least 3 color lenses you overlay, one of which is required to maintain night vision on the bridge, in CIC, and other places like flight deck control or just topside in general at night.

Thse are the small ones about size of your hand. They also have an accessory kit with a rubberized portion that will keep it from rolling on a flat surface (several types of that). They have a little spot to hook to an extensable lanyard so if walking in the dark, you can turn it on and just let it hang and light your foot area while your hands are encumbered.

Failures to date: I've had to replace th bulb after a few years in some of them. Usually after dropping one down several decks worth of ladders. Once broke the glass face bit doing that too (that one still lit but was bent and no longer waterproof so was replaced).

Reply to
cshenk

The Mag LED in D cell, with the factory installed bulb. I really like them. The bulb sold separately has the blue tint to it. I wish they would make C cell mag with LED bulbs. I'd like that. I built one from pieces. Bright enough to light up a tree a couple doors down the road from me. But, blue tint.

Where did you get your Task Force? Lowe's, was it?

I took a Mag light into the swimming pool when I was a teen. Every time I pushed the button, a bubble came out from the switch button. The next day the swtich died. I sent it back. They wrote back to send two dollars postage, they would return my light with a new switch. I did, they did. Their reminder note is the light is water resistant, not water proof. Might have been OK to turn the light on, play with it under water, but not turn it on or off.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Harbor Freight has a black and yellow head light. Two AA cells. If you unscrew the lens, and rip otu the bulb. Take a small jewlers screw driver, and yank otu the reflector. Put in a Nite Ize mini mag conversion module. Now, for about ten bucks, you have a powerful head light.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

True, but how long do you think the Chinese people will stand for that?

Certainly, not as long as the American people did. Information simply moves too quickly in this day and age.

Doesn't China already tariff the hell out of everything they buy from us?

I've never understood why we let other countries put heavy tariffs on our exports, while our import tariffs are little more than lip service.

Reply to
mkirsch1

I just bought a 3D model Mag at Costco with a single high powered LED and it has a great beam pattern and is blazingly bright - brightest flashlight I've ever seen. I can easily illuminate stuff a couple blocks away at night.

and a Task

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Does that explain the aircraft landing on your street?

When I bought a 3D LED mag, I tried it and my Garrity 3D light, in the Lowe's parking lot. Used the same batteries, tried one light and then put the batteries in the other light. I thought my Garrity was broken, it was 1/4 or 1/3 of the light of the LED Mag. It focusses, and shines light an amazing distance.

"Black Friday" and the lights were half price.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When I put my old halogen 3D maglite next to the LED one the halogen one looks like a sick yellow candle by comparison. That's the other thing about the LED, it's a really "white" light, as in blueish white color temp.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher