Lowes vs Lumber Yard Price

"Twayne" wrote

Hehe too bad we arent local!

Here's a craft for you. I take those and make 3-7 inch tall foot stools. 3 inch if a single 1x6, 7 inch if using something more like a 2x8. Just cut one to even halfs (doesnt have to be exactly 6 inches) and those are the legs. Nail to top 12 inch or so piece. Cut another down so it fits between the legs and nail it down well. Sand, then paint in bright colors with some sort of stenciled paint design. Use with guests then gift them to them at the end of the party ;-)

Oh, if you want to make a 7 inch tall or so one out of 1x6, get some cute hinges that lay flat and use those to secure the 2 leg pieces and then flip it over and use cheaper pre-holed metal brackets on the bottom to hold the 2 top pieces. Now you have a 7 inch or so tall stable 12 inch wide footstool.

Hehe folks think they are so neat, never knowing they are gonna be gifted with one at the end of the party.

Reply to
cshenk

:Red Green wrote: :> JIMMIE wrote in :> news: snipped-for-privacy@b18g2000vbl.googlegroups.com: :> :>> On Oct 7, 9:56 pm, Red Green wrote: :>>> Just an isolated example: Lowes 1-lb electro galv roofing nails 3.33. :>>> Loc :>> al :>>> lumber yard 2.79. Same brand and all. :>>>

:>>> Now at the "Building Supply" place where I had to get matching :>>> replacemen :>> t :>>> siding pieces, their smallest box is 5 lb. :>> I think LOWES specializes in sellin small quantities. Just try buying :>> a 100 machine screws there. I bought a 100 box for the price of one of :>> their blister packs. :>>

:>> Jimmie :>>

:> :> I'd have to agree somewhat. But that's what the avg Joe Homeowner wants. :> And the Borg has 10's of thousands of JH that need 4 of these screws and :> pretty much know they can go to the Borg and get a blister 6pk and only :> have to put away and lose the other two vs 96! : :If I need 6 or more, I go ahead and buy a box. After 20-some years of :living compactly in an apartment, that is one of the reasons I bought a :house- so I could start having a storehouse of hardware like when I was :a kid.

Yeah, I have a room dedicated to storing tools and hardware, has a workbench too. It's just full of all kinds of hardware, gotten all over and most of the time I already have what I need, no need to drive or bike over to a store. Saves time and money. It's a challenge to organize it all, but I do pretty well. Like an expert said, if you can categorize it, you can organize it. Mostly, that's true, but not always. Sometimes it's hard. I glanced at the contents of a box I keep just this morning. On the outside it says, "uncategorizable!"

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

Reply to
Dan Musicant

:Way ahead of you, they are all full. Except those I use for cleaning paint :brushes. : :Fruitcake tins are handy storage devices too...they spread stuff out more :than coffee cans, easier to spot that special, needed bolt saved from long :ago.

Nice for storage are those plastic drawer gizmos designed for the purpose. I have a couple of those. That's for specific parts, like 8x32 machine screws, various sizes of washers, nails, nuts, etc. etc. etc. I even have a few drawers dedicated to stainless steel parts. For some parts, I buy in bulk and keep them in the boxes, usually from Home Depot.

Glass jars are nice, cause you can see in them. Also, clear plastic containers. I have at least one dedicated to matched machine screws, matched wood screws, etc. all in individual plastic bags and placed in a container. Then there are containers for unmatched machine screws, unmatched wood screws. Several other containers, and many boxes on shelves with specific purposes, and so labeled so I don't have to remember too much.

Tool rack, various shelves all over the room. My neighbors don't even know about my toolroom, so I never have to deal with the knock on the door for a tool. Only a couple of my friends know about it, one's reaction when he saw it: "Santa's workshop!" I also have work aprons and belts, a tool bucket with bucket boss, a cool tool pouch I made myself from leather years ago when I worked on the docks.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

Reply to
Dan Musicant

:Problem is that eventually you forget what you have and don't have. :Many times I have bought an item to fix something and then later found :one in my "stuff".

Doesn't happen to me often at all. You need to get better organized.

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

Reply to
Dan Musicant

:> Now at the "Building Supply" place where I had to get matching :> replacement siding pieces, their smallest box is 5 lb. : :Lowes is like anywhere else; you have to know what your'e buying, and if :the pennies matter, also be aware of what other places charge for the :same things. Sometimes there are great sales elsewhere. In general :though I make out pretty well at Lowes and I love the service. : :One thing they do that i really like is to sell 85" lumber vs the :standard 96" or 8'. It's very seldom I ever need more than the 85" and :constantly toss the foot long leftovers in the fire or scrap bin. For :me at least that saves me a pretty good amount of money. Same :board-foot price, sometimes a tad less, than the 8' too depending on :their stock. It seems to be better lumber too but that's probably just :to get people used to it. But all of Lowes lumber is pretty good; :straight, not cracked and/or twisted. Much better than the local yards. : :Regards, : :Twayne`

Quality of wood is a big issue. I live too far from Lowes to consider using them for wood. For me it's either the local lumber yard of Home Depot, usually the latter. I always have to sort through lumber at Home Depot, so much of their wood is checked, bent, etc.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

Reply to
Dan Musicant

Chuckle. I paid to have an addition put on the house my father is in, including an extra-long 1-bay enclosed garage (versus the carports normal in that area), just so he could have a workshop/playroom again after many years of doing without. Brought tears to my eyes seeing the joy on his face after we got it all set up. Sadly, his health keeps him from using it too much these days, but it was still worth it.

Wish I had above-ground space here to set up something similar. I have an abandoned garage bay in the basement, but idiot previous owner filled in the door and the front yard, so no way to get anything in and out of it. I don't think a 4x8 sheet of plywood would make the turn in the kitchen to get down the narrow steep stairs. I could cut in a door, and have front yard relandscaped with a retaining wall, but I'd never make it back on resale. Maybe in the next house.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I used baby food jars both the small and junior sized. I even had some metal shelves made special for them when I worked at a place with a full metal shop. They held up well since I started with my kids eating the stuff and my youngest is now 39.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

You too eh? I nailed the lids to the top of an upper shelf and screw the bottoms filled with various sized mall 'bits' to them.

Reply to
cshenk

A lot safer since they quit making them out of glass several years ago...

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers