Lost Electricity

I've seen 'em on European web sites but I don't know if they'd work on 60hz or not. I generally just use my clamp-on wattmeter for 240 volt applications.

John

-- John De Armond See my website for my current email address

Neon John

Also check that there were the same number of days in the billing cycle.

And consider the fact that furnace fans can be a big user of power (during the period when the power WAS on).

Reply to
CJT

That shouldn't change the amount of total clothes washed in December. Clothes pilling up at my house would actually make the electric bill less. That shirt wasn't as dirty as I thought it was. :)

Reply to
Terry

I think you mean higher rather than lower. Degree days are measured as delta from a base temperature.

Reply to
CJT

Steve,

No, the billing cycle may have been 31 days but I thought you said you had a power outage for 6 days. that means that you used 682/25 days=27.3 kwh/day. But if you used 22 kwh/day ( I don't follow this) then your use seems to be quite normal for this time of year

I'm not sure why you are using the numbers for Dec 07 in computing your average since you believe these numbers are wrong. Excluding the 07 figures I get an average or 647 kwh for December. Where I live the actual billing cycle can fluctuate by a day or two, so I'm uncertain if it is reasonable to average these numbers together and I would not calculate the kwh/day without knowing how many days there are in the billing cycle 27.3 kwh/day is probably a new high for you but it does not seem to be a huge increase. Could be a lot of Christmas lights, a few visitors, really cold weather, et c.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

But if you were calculating your average daily use based on only those days with power, it could skew that figure.

Reply to
CJT

You mean Heating Degree Days -- Cooling Degree Days are calculated in the reverse. Of course if Steve is cooling things in Iowa during December and January then there really is a warming problem. Of course all the hot-air from the political types in Nov-Dec could have created a need for cooling. But I digress....

Reply to
Elmo

WOW! that's freaky. Our REC charges .13 and that's a rip around here. The Kansas city power and light is only about 9.5 or 10 and when we moved on the the REC, i thought i was gonna die. thanks for the explaination.

S. Barker

If we had used for 31 days instead of 25 it would have been 22 kwh/day. right. I agree that the real average for dec 07 is 27.3 kwh/day which is way more than we've ever used before for no apparent reason.

The numbers are what the meter reader says (or guessed) I have not other numbers and January usage is in line with the end of december reading.

Excluding the 07 figures

Read the other responses again. No lights. no entertaining, no extra dirty clothes. I may be thick as a brick on this, but it doesn't add up. Thanks \\ Steve

Reply to
Steve IA

1/3 hp (246 watts) furnace fan which only runs briefly due to the wood burner supplying most of our heat.

thanks for the input

Steve

Reply to
Steve IA

Pretty much how it works.

Steve

Reply to
Steve IA

Yes, you're right it's the same total number of loads of laundry. But, it's those same total number of loads spread out over just 25 days, not 31 days. So the number per day is a bit higher and the electric usage per day is a bit higher. And the total electric for the month is about the same even though the power was off for 5 days.

Bottom line is, even with the electric out for 5 days, a month's worth of laundry was still done.

Of course if their clothes dryer is NG or propane......

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

I'm paying .18 and a new increase is coming.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Check that dryer to be sure the vent is not clogging and clothes are taking longer to dry.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A direct short is what we electricians call a bolted fault. If a complete short were to exist the breaker should open. What brand of breaker are we talking about?

An extension cord connection exposed to wetting can use a lot of electricity without tripping the circuit breaker. Anything less then ten percent over current can continue for a very long time.

-- Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Reply to
Tom Horne

Neon John wrote: .

Thanks for the detailed instructions on this.

Reply to
Steve IA

Steve IA said (on or about) 01/19/2008 10:40:

I recall a Firesign Theatre album (I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus) which mentioned a government agency -- The Lost Electricity Reclamation Bureau (a division of the Department of Redundancy Department). You should file a claim with them.

Reply to
Elmo

I get strange looks when I say "We're all Bozos on this bus". Glad to see I'm not alone.

Steve

Reply to
Steve IA

Bruce Richmond wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Dave's not here, man. :-)

But if you actually are Bruce Richmond and you mean Dave Richmond, everybody around the Junction knows Dave from somewhere.

(Soft knocks at the door) CHONG: Who is it? CHEECH: It's me, Dave. Open up, man, I got the stuff. (More knocks) CHONG: Who is it? CHEECH: It's me, Dave, man. Open up, I got the stuff. CHONG: Who? CHEECH: It's, Dave, man. Open up, I think the cops saw me come in here. (More knocks) CHONG: Who is it? CHEECH: It's, Dave, man. Will you open up, I got the stuff with me. CHONG: Who? CHEECH: Dave, man. Open up. CHONG: Dave? CHEECH: Yeah, Dave. C'mon, man, open up, I think the cops saw me. CHONG: Dave's not here. CHEECH: No, man, I'm Dave, man. (Sharp knocks at the door) CHEECH: Hey, c'mon, man. CHONG: Who is it? CHEECH: It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me. CHONG: Who? CHEECH: Dave, man. Open up. CHONG: Dave? CHEECH: Yeah, Dave. CHONG: Dave's not here. CHEECH: What the hell? No, man, I am Dave, man. Will you... (More knocks) CHEECH: C'mon! Open up the door, will you? I got the stuff with me, I think the cops saw me. CHONG: Who is it? CHEECH: Oh, what the hell is it...c'mon. Open up the door! It's Dave! CHONG: Who? CHEECH: Dave! D-A-V-E! Will you open up the goddam door! CHONG: Dave? CHEECH: Yeah, Dave! CHONG: Dave? CHEECH: Right, man. Dave. Now will you open up the door? CHONG: Dave's not here.

Reply to
Red Green

I don't see coiled extension cords making electromagnetic heaters. The current through the two current-carrying conductors goes in opposite directions so their magnetic fields cancel each other out pretty well. The inductance will be negligible. EMF across this inductance would be millivolts. Multiply that EMF by the cord current, and any power in any induced currents has to be a fraction of that.

Coiling the cord made the heat being dissipated in the cord conductors more confined. Extension cords can overheat, especially if coiled, bunched up, or placed under carpets. Beware of the current rating and the wire size - some extension cords have thinner conductors and lower current ratings than others that have similar appearance. For example, I have seen some very industrial-looking extension cords with 16 AWG conductors.

One more thing - I have noticed that extension cords with 16 AWG conductors tend to have a current rating of 13 amps, while 14 AWG tends to be rated 15 amps and 12 AWG tends to be rated 20 amps. It appears to me that 16 AWG cords have a less conservative rating.

Another thing to watch for with electrical cords in general: Every so often, check to see if the ends heat up. The ends are where most metal fatigue damage to the strands of wire occurs - usually within 4 inches of the ends. If the ends heat up, discard the cords or cut the end few inches off and replace the plugs/connectors.

Don Klipstein