Los Angelos, Electric, Not Natural Gas

Right, the stupidity has to stop. People have to realize technology takes time to evolve and we are just at the start of it.

Don't get me started on the stupidity with batteries. They are evolving with new ones that do not use cobalt or lithium and that they can be recycled using 92% of the materials. What we see now is just an interim as science moves on. To think we are at peak is narrow minded.

M Manson had a good post about narrow minded thinking.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And the technologies need to stand on their own. No clubbing other folks over head and forcing to subsidize your boondoggles.

I adore the idea of using hydrogen fuel cell instead of batteries. The the cost and obtainment of the hydrogen is still an issue.

You shouldn't show ignorance here. You'd not be messaging here if not for government funding.

What else has government money made available to you for everyday use?

Ed Pawlowski
<big snip>

Fusion has always been the holy grail of power generation, and last week there were headlines that used the word "breakthrough".

"Major breakthrough on nuclear fusion energy"

The way I see it, solar cells and battery technology will continue to become more efficient, wind power will fill in some of the gaps, and other things might also be improved (wave action in the sea) or newly discovered. If they can continue to make progress with fusion, that would be awesome.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I got two that still work. Most went out in about two months.

Let private companies do the research and testing. Government mandate need to BUTT OUT.

That and the hydrogen cost and availability issue.

Hydrogen fuel cell cars are so damned cool!

NASA and DARPA would be a qualified yes.

Typically, government is about waxing their friends palms and things typically wind up in disaster. Government projects do not have the threat of failure, so they are crazy wasteful and are often used as an excuse to push political agendas down out throats. Solyndra for example. Washing machines that do not wash cloths for S*** (S***E if you are British).

You are right though, but only sometimes.

Private industry does a lot but without government funding we'd not be having this conversation. They made the internet exist. YOU are benefiting.

They government should not do everything but they can help.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
[snip]

There's also a significant power loss in electric transmission lines.

There's a coal-fired power plant near here. It's often in the news for causing a lot of pollution.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

This one caused a lot of dust, in the end .. :-)

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Agreed, but with qualifications.

Natural gas burn clean.

It looked like the towers fell just where they were supposed to fall.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

It looked like the final one came pretty close to the road - - the picturesque St. Clair Parkway - but as planned. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Cleaner than coal or oil. No fuel is perfect.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Part of Delaware's electricity comes from natural gas used in fuel cells:

This article mentions the good things but not the bad which us customers are saddled with.

You could power fuel cells in an EV with it but you still get carbon dioxide.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

That phrase belongs on a t-shirt and looks like it was brought to us by the same folks who gave us this gem, "All your base are belong to us."

Jim Joyce

How far along in moving to solar and wind do you think we would be today without governments "monkeying" with the process?

Reply to
trader_4

More like the narrow minded don't recognize that we could generate all the electricity required right now, any time we choose, with nuclear, which generates zero CO2. And that solar, wind, hydro have been slowly increasing and will continue to increase in the future.

Sounds like what they said about those damn horseless carriages.

Try to keep up. US production of electric from coal generation has been rapidly declining. It's down to 19% now, down 60% in the last twenty years. You're probably still believing Trump's massive lies about coal, as he tried to promote it.

I agree, so why don't you stop already?

Reply to
trader_4

Then you must have bought some cheap crap ones and probably only in the early days.

When do you think we would have had seat belts and air bags in cars, had the government butted out? How about 25, 40 MPG cars? How about 95% efficient furnaces and 16 SEER AC? I remember the energy crisis of the 70s and for the next twenty years, not much progress. When the govt mandated it seems to be when suddenly there was big progress in all of the above.

I agree, that there are stunning examples of government stupidity and graft when it comes to mandates and subsidies. But you can't just focus on only the bad part that you want to see and ignore the good parts that have worked.

Reply to
trader_4

It's for people stuck in the 80s and prior. Back then natural gas was properly called clean, because it created few known harmful emissions. For the last couple decades we've known that CO2 is now a harmful emission. At least the vast majority of scientists and people that will accept science know it.

Reply to
trader_4
[snip]

Much cleaner than that lignite.