Looking for a hot-water tank controller

I've tried Googling on various search terms and haven't managed to find anything, so here goes:

Does anyone know if there is available on the market a controller for hot water tanks, whereby a float switch in a drain pan can shut off a solenoid-operated valve on the cold water inlet and the 230v supply to the heater elements? Or do the same in the event of a power failure? Here's a bad ASCII art attempt at a schematic of what I have in mind:

115 Vac L1 N | | ) [bkr in svc pl] | | | | N/C FLOAT SW RESET (N/O PB) | | __|__ | `-----o--.-o--------+---o o---+----------+---(M)---+----------' | | M | | | ^ `----| |----' `---(S)---' : SOLENOID FOR N/C VALVE 230 Vac 2 ph : L1 L2 : N | | : | )--- ) [2-ph bkr in : | | | in svc pl] M .------. | | `-------------------| |-----------| HTR | | | M | TERM |-----------------' `------------------------| |-----------| BOX | `------'

The idea is that if the power goes off or the float switch opens, the M coil d-energizes and the M contacts open. Because there's a sealing circuit in the 120 supply to the coil, the system won't re-energize until someone comes and pushes the reset button, thus keeping the system safe if it should trip while I was away on holidays or what-have-you. Alternatively, the float switch could be a flow switch in the drain line from the drain pan.

So, anyone know if a ready-made controller like this is available on the market?

Yours aye, W. Underhill

Reply to
William Underhill

There are systems for you main that are common

Reply to
ransley

could easil;y be built using a solenoid valve, water sensor, and a heavy duty power relay.

since the number of failures are low, and a overheated element will self destruct without damaging anything but itself I havent seen them sold.

the important thing is good drainage for a leaking tank, and if your going on vacation turn your tank off.

theres tons of stuff that can break while on vacation and cause havoc. washers, dishwashers, any plumbing, electrical shorts causing fires etc.

you cant prevent everything

Reply to
hallerb

Reply to
Howard

Motor starters/relays have built in switches for the non-restart feature. With a 3 ph relay, you can use the third set of contacts for this non-restart feature. Solenoids are available, and a microswitches with long arms are available, to which a paddle could be attached. The overall wiring is actually pretty simple. Omega Engineering (NJ) I think sells flow meters/switches, but perty pricey.

Not a bad idea, really, for all these types of appliances. A solenoid before any hosing should be operated by the appliance itself, to minimize while-you-sleep disaster.

A nice main ball valve to shut off ALL the water is proly the best and simplest hedge against vacation disaster. Ditto gas, some circuit breakers.

Moot for me, since I'm too broke for vacations. :) :(

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Thanks - that's almost exactly what I was looking for. Now to see if there's a CSA-rated unit available...

Yours aye, W. Underhill

Reply to
William Underhill

What if the valve starts leaking? You probably need a valve to protect your protection valve.

Reply to
Meat Plow