Looking for a 60 x 30 (not 32") shower stall base (renovation)

Hi All,

I'm looking for suggestions for products to use to replace a 60 X 30 inch tub with a shower stall of the same size: 60 x 30, not 60 x 32.

The reason for the question is because the room's layout: a standard 60 x 32 inch shower stall bases simply will not fit and is not an option.

I've found one possible product from Swanstone, which is their "barrier free shower" (FBF-3060L, FBF-3060R, BF-3060L, BF-3060R), and these are

60 x 30 inches.

However, this product lacks the standard ~2" step-over because its designed for roll-in handicapped access, which raises two questions:

1) Will the lack of the barrier mean that water won't reliably stay in the shower stall area?

2) A slider door is intended for the install, but will the lack of the barrier mean that it can only used with a shower curtain instead of being able to install a standard shower stall glass slider door system?

Any comments, suggestions, experiences, etc, etc, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-hh

Reply to
H. Huntzinger

If I were doing it, and couldn't figure out how to modify the surround to accomodate a standard sized item, with the difference of an inch on both sides, I'd likely decide that it was time to tell this crowd what the circumstances are, and see if anyone else has a suggestion that would work for me.

As for the use of a shower curtain without a stop at the bottom, it will flap and let a lot of water out.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

The surround isn't the concern: its the base.

I've found one example of a 60 x 30 shower stall base, but its predominantly designed for handicapped roll-in access and thus has some questions for my application (I want to put a door on it instead of a shower curtain).

If you know of additional sources of 60 x 30 shower stalls, please list them.

If you want all the gory details, here:

a) The replacement cannot intrude any further into the room than the current, because of the proximity to an adjacent toilet which is already

4" short of code's 15" centerline requirement...a standard 32" wide replacement stall makes an already bad situation worse.

b) Pushing out would require a new exterior wall including full foundation, as well as changing the roof pitch and a partial demolish/rebuild of an exterior deck.

c) Wholesale rearrangement of the fixtures to a new floor plan (including pushing left or right, as well as using a corner shower stall) has various problems, the most significant of which being that the construction is on a concrete slab that will have to be jackhammered opened for each changed septic/drain location.

d) The bathroom cannot be out of service for an extended period of time.

My conclusion to all of this is that a 30" wide shower stall is the only reasonable solution, and the only question is if there's a suitable standard item drop-in or if it has to be a fully custom tile basin.

Glad I asked then how easy/hard it is to install a standard shower door system onto the Swanstone barrier free shower model FBF-3060L. Do you?

-hh

Reply to
H. Huntzinger

Medusa

The Swanstone 3260 series is available both with standard lip and barrier free. See ttp://

for info.

sPh

Reply to
sPh

Thanks for the pointer...took a look. Unfortunately, no 30"D shower pans. Best they have is 60 x 30 tub/shower combo, which is what we're looking at changing away from.

-hh

Reply to
H. Huntzinger

If the Swanstone FBF-3060L/R series was available with a standard lip, it is the proper width (your suggestion is not the proper width), so there would be no question that it would do the job just fine.

The question remains if a shower door will go on the barrier-free Swanstone's without it being more trouble than its worth...do you know if this is the case with the barrier free variant of the 60" x 32"?

Also, anyone know if Swanstone is closed down for a summer vacation break or something similar? Its been a week since I sent an email to their 'info' address with this same basic question, with no acknowledgement as of yet received back from them.

Thanks,

-hh

Reply to
H. Huntzinger

This is a follow-up post for the Google archives for anyone else who has this type of challenge in the future...

Reportedly, putting a shower door onto a barrier-free shower stall is "don't do it" (won't work).

The good news is that I've found the 60 x 30 that I need, from a custom fabricator who can make any size and with any drain location (and with any size of threshhold, so the shower door's not a problem).

They sell the standard Silverstone line, plus they do their custom size shower stall bases in both in acrylic and DuPont Corian. Ballpark price on a custom 60 x 30 done in Acrylic is around $800; add another 20% for Corian.

Their URL is:

BTW, they also sell the various standard Corian shower stall wall kits at a discount when buying one of their bases, as well as can probably do other custom stuff.

-hh

Reply to
H. Huntzinger