Logic for or against the tire-rotation pattern X > H > X > H

Again, the discussion was about rotating and the whole point to rotating is so that the tires wear evenly and there is no significant difference between front and back. But feel free to rotate your tires after driving through the first turn in your silly example.

Reply to
trader_4

In the past i always bought tires in pairs, never four at a time. It was about cash flow, not what axle had more wear. I also learned that FWD cars have front tires wearing faster and if you don't rotate, the rear tires can cup and even though they have a lot of tread, they make a lot of noise.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I do realize that I'm the only one you've ever heard of who is proposing this X > H > X > H pattern such that, in the end, two things are accomplished Each tire sits on each of the four corners in the span of a year Each axle set remains as an axle set at all times

Therefore I appreciate your experience, as we all have had experiences which have shaped our understanding of the frailties (and strengths) of vehicle systems.

For example decades ago a neighbor knocked on my door and asked me to come outside and look at the front rotor of his new girlfriend's car he was working on in his driveway. He had the front driver side wheel off and I still didn't even *recognize* the rotor! It was just the fins and nothing else! This was a lesson that I personally learned which is that brakes work (sort of ok) even when there's metal on metal. Excepting the heat generation, the friction coefficient of steel on steel is "E" which isn't all that bad in brake pads themselves (well, it's not good, but there are brake pads with the same coefficient of friction as steel on steel).

My experience with tires is similar, in that they withstand a hellofa lot of abuse, most of the time. I've driven with multiple patches, mysterious bulbous protrusions in the sidewall, treads worn to the metal belts, screws protruding for fear of removing them and losing what air was left, sidewalls cut to the cord, different tread patters, different wheels, etsetera.

Of course, it only takes one blowout at speed to kill you, but I've been fortunate in having maybe a score of flats in about a million miles of driving where none caused me to lose control of the vehicle.

I've only had one catastrophic blowout, where to this day I don't know what caused it. The tire had a hole in it the size of a bullet, and the inside of the alloy wheel was dented as if a bullet sliced tangentially past it, but there was nothing in the carcass as I was there looking when the shop removed it from the wheel.

So I repeat that it's better to be safe than to be sorry but in my experience, tires (like brakes) are almost as reliable as anything can possibly be in life.

Moving forward, I will keep in mind your fair warning that changing the direction of non-directional radials "can" influence the belts to separate, but I'll also keep in mind that many people have said that's only for the older radials (but I haven't read a single reliable report so it's all individual experience at this point).

I'm more worried, at the moment, that I don't understand why most tire-rotation patters for RWD cars suggest the "modified X", and not a full-blown X, with the driving wheels being moved forward on the same side while the steered wheels are moved aft in an X pattern.

Reply to
Roy Tremblay

+1 I never in my life rotated a tire, or had them rotated. For a while I bought my tires used for 5-20 bucks a pop. Now I buy 4 quality new tires when the old ones wear out.
Reply to
Vic Smith

Apparently you haven't been paying attention.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The one thing I think I know about tire rotation is do it promptly on schedule or not at all. It's especially important on all wheel drive like Subies.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yet this thread goes on and on about you've got to do this, and that. Seems like people like their rituals.

Same with the "winterizing" the lawn mower. I just stop using it in the fall. In the spring it starts right up. I've got at least 50 years of not rotating my tires and not winterizing the lawn mower under my belt. No ill effects noticed so far.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Another good reason to "rotate"

Reply to
clare

Too mentally broke to pay attention.

Reply to
clare

The rear tires on my Regal had 50,000 mils and could have easily gone another 10+ but I could not stand the noise any more. I've rotated since.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

les roughly).

them on the rim).

t of the time.

ern look to you?

n I devised, I think

ays as a set per axle

rotation options?

and nothing

irly even all

's usually wear

also the issue

ce installed.

Better drive

best tires on

, we all forgot

didn't change

es. They will

best tires on

r wheel drive.

the new tires

y worn tires

er more easily

a parking spot,

n the road it's

just read that

is the safest

ires to the rear?

n a little faster

ires is so that they wear approximately evenly.

Clare, you just keep attacking me, for no reason. I didn't say a damn thing about you or anything you said in this thread. What I said fully agreed wi th what you're saying. You claim to have me blocked, yet you keep taking th ese cheap shots at me, for no reason. WTF is your problem? Going senile? Go f*ck yourself.

Reply to
trader_4

And what bad happens if you go say 50% or 100% past schedule and then rotate them?

Reply to
trader_4

I ruined a set when I did it. They were worn in a specific pattern and the change was too much apparently. Anyhow, that's what the tire shop guy said.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Same here. I don't even run it out of gas. Same with the weedwhacker. I think doing the rituals offend or confuse the machines, making them act up.

Reply to
Vic Smith

They don't like being ignored either. I don't whack weeds very often and was shocked to find that THAT LITTLE THING was the carb and needed to be cleaned. I couldn't put it back together again although I have cleaned MC carbs successfully. Enough. Nothing but electric whackers and mowers from then on.

Reply to
The Real Bev

straight or left to right rotation?

Reply to
clare

I don't remember.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I can see side to side doing it - - -

Reply to
clare

yeah, I think tire rotation is not just for overall wear between different tires of the tread but because if you don't rotate them, EACH TIRE wears unevenly and gets scalloping or cupping and runs noisy.

Rotating is supposed to even out the wear within EACH tire.

makolber

trader_4 posted for all of us...

BINGO BINGO BINGO

Reply to